MMA Where to start?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by JumboJym69, Jun 9, 2006.

1. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

I have been interested in starting to learn a martial art for a very long time. In about 4 months I will be out of school and in a postion to really devote a lot of time to it and I'm not sure what I want to learn. I have never trained in any type of martial arts before.

I was pretty sure I wanted to learn Muay Thai to begin with because it looks really tough and it is my favorite of the striking arts. But recently I have been questioning whether I want to start with Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I guess BJJ looks like a lot more fun and disciplined to me, I like the idea of attending a more formal class. Also I assume in BJJ you get to actually spar with other people sooner than you would in Muay Thai.

I live in the Metro-Atlanta area so I have plenty of options available to me. I'm just looking for some feedback from you guys who train in anything. What did you guys start with? What do you enjoy training the most?
    Thanks

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

most BJJ classes are very laid back and informal in my experience.

find schools around you and go take a free class at all of them, then go spend some time at the one you feel most at home at

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

In BJJ you wear a Gi which makes it somewhat formal but not really. :rofl:

Depending on where you go, MT can be a more "cultural" experience. You can spar as soon as you want as well.

4. JordanClarkson

JJ != BJJ

5. JordanClarkson

Yeah but most schools that primarily teach BJJ will be doing it in a Gi as well. If you go to an "MMA" or submission grappling school it's most likely going to be no Gi 100% of the time.