where to go next v. programming experience and Open Source

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raand, Jun 30, 2009.

1. raand

raand New Member

I am a computer Engineering major and I want to build my abilities in programming. I spoke with a professor at my school and he said I am past using books and should try to think of a project that I am interested or that I can get interested in.

I was wondering if anyone on offtopic participates in open source programming and if so what you think and how hard it is to get into it.

I am also thinking or trying out game programming as a hobby. I have heard this can be a good method to practice.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on getting more experience I would love to hear them.

Programming languages I am interested in working in are: C/C++, JAVA, and PERL.

I am willing to work in Windows or Linux just trying to decide on where to start.

Thanks in advance.

2. ge0

ge0 New Member

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

My friend started contributing to Mozilla Firefox as a part of this open source class he had at college... the college had some good relationship with Mozilla. Now he is interning there for the summer, as Firefox QA.

I'd say just start looking at open source projects, contribute bug fixes for a while... I'm sure if you do it consistently enough, the developers would approach you... if they had any sense, anyways. Anyways, thats my advice in which I have no personal experience... so take it with a grain of salt I guess. Just my perspective as an outside slowly making his way in.