where to get constant 12V, and 12V when ignition is on?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tommyortom, Jan 20, 2005.

1. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

ive been having some trouble getting the constant 12V and ignition 12V for my car cd player to work right, so i just want to try to get power from somewhere else. where is an easy spot on my 1999 Malibu that i can tap in for power for a constant 12V power source,and then a 12V power source that only is on when my car is on/on accesory on the ignition.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

uh, the battery for always-on, and the cigerette lighter for acc.

3. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

my cig lighter is always on....i know the battery is always on..but i dont want to wire all the way up. what would be something in my fuse panel that i could tap into?

4. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

i found this chart on a n-body forum...

[​IMG]

so i should tap into the red wirre for my 12V constant, and tap into the pink, dark green, or orange wire for teh ignition? also, how hard is the ignition harness to get to...and are the wires tightly bound in there? i want to be able to do a good job, becausae i dont want my IGNITION harness to ever fail on me.

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Yes, tap into Red for constant and Orange for switched. Most likely they will be tightly bound, possibly even in wire loom. You can use inline splice connectors to tap and as long as you get the right size it shouldn't put the harness at risk of failure. Either way, you should still be able to start your car. There are 12volt sources all around inside the dash. Maybe attached to A/C controls or something. You could also take a multimeter to your fuse block and check what is switched and what is not.

Btw, what is wrong with the current sources? If you have it connected correctly it sounds like your car has electrical problems in general if it still isn't working. Or, your headunit is messedup.

6. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

got it working. all i had to do is run power from the battey to my cd player. i used the wires in the harness for the ignition. so i didnt have to tap into anything.
    to veonake...nothing electrically was wrong with my car or cd player. i guess thats how they have to be installed on kind of car? the factory radio worked fine if i hooked it up.