Where to get an AE86?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Saicho, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Saicho

Saicho New Member

I'm lookin to buy an AE86 but those are so hard to come by in the Seattle area.

I also don't want to buy a half finished project or beat half to death. I can and want to do everything myself as long as I get something rust free and decently taken care of.

I'm always looking around to put a note on the car if I see one, but haven't had much luck with that either...

Any advice for me? :x:

Also, is it possible to go to the DMV and request addresses of registered year/make/model? Is that even public records?

2. E-dub

E-dub New Member

If you want a nice quality one you are going to pay a lot of money, especially in the Seattle area. I suggest keeping on top of club4ag and craigslist while attending the area 4ag meets and continue to ask around. It took my brother 6 months to find his AE86 but it was perfect; a 1 owner garage kept unmolested example.

3. Saicho

Saicho New Member

I can't really say I want to buy one from the 4ag crew since I wouldn't really know what happened to it prior. How exactly did your brother finally find one if you don't mind me asking?

4. E-dub

E-dub New Member

He got his before the USA drift-boner. Purchased in 2003, it was on a used car lot, unsuspecting where it had been traded in on something else.

5. Saicho

Saicho New Member

wow :wackit:

6. JDM5LugHatch

JDM5LugHatch New Member

try Autotrader as well. When I was looking for an AE86 years ago I found a few in Cali. The prices weren't that bad either.

7. Saicho

Saicho New Member

I've tried that, but Cali is far, shipping the car here would cost half of what the car is worth :hsugh:

8. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

^sometimes thats a thing you gotta do.

9. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

You're going to end up paying too much for a totally overrated car.

Get a miata. You'll find one cheaper, less beat on, and drives/drifts about the same, only more fun.

10. BlaZeR

BlaZeR New Member

Been watching initial d?

11. Saicho

Saicho New Member

saw it a few years back

miatas aren't rare ;) and I want something to take up a bit of my time, and fixing up an ae86 is better suited for me anyway

12. MercenaryForHire

MercenaryForHire only you know the real truth

DOOOOOOOOORIFTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You could spend every bit as much time and money fixing up a 1.6L Miata ;)

4-wheel independent double-wishbone suspension versus struts and a live axle...

Thing with AE86s is, they used to be $1000 old beat cars with RWD, limited slip, and decent handling. That was great. Now, they are $3000 really old beat cars with RWD, limited slip, and decent handling. Not so great.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  14. InfectedShadow

InfectedShadow New Member

A miata is A: everywhere, and B: Scares away girls and attracts the Gay.

The AE86 is better looking too.

15. Nhubie

Nhubie OT Supporter

Then he better be ready to pay up.

16. Saicho

Saicho New Member

:wtc:

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Just get a MKI MR2. Easier and cheaper to find, more "rare" than a Miata and has the work curve of an AE86 any day. I got mine really cheap ($3200) and have been driving it daily for the last 10,000 miles problem free. Insurance is dirt cheap too.

DMV told me I had to go in and fill out a form to request info of previous owners. Is that what you are talking about? They wouldn't do it over the phone. I don't know if they will do a broad search, but they would do it for a single car if you have one in mind and need contact info.

18. Saicho

Saicho New Member

Nah, I know I can get that sort of vehicle history if I had a VIN number of even a liscence plate, but I don't have that. I wanted to find addresses so I can take a look at the cars and leave a note.

19. c0dyblah

c0dyblah New Member

if you really want a corolla, then you better spread out some cardboard on your drive way. get yourself ready for some oil leaks. and not to mention rust too, depending on what kind of environment you live in

btw coupe or hatch??

you admitted to watching initial d, and if you want a hatch...then thats just total fan boy. If you want to go drift go buy a 240sx. cause if you break anything, it'll be easier to find at a junkyard

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  20. mazzer

mazzer New Member

i have one. come to stl and get it !! it's a real gts and has a 20v swap in it. doesn't run $1400 !!

21. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

a perfectly running GTS sat and sat and sat here for the longest time, i drove it, fun little fucker. second gear stuck a bit. they wanted 800 but after nobody offered, i called with 600 in my hand after about a month but it JUST sold the day before i called.

22. InfectedShadow

InfectedShadow New Member

What crack are you smoking? Every car has the potential to leak oil about 15% of AE86's Ive seen leak oil. So why should he be prepaired for a leak? Rust is mostly about where your from.

23. Saicho

Saicho New Member

Yes I admitted to watching Initial D, but that was years ago and that is NOT why I want a corolla. I'm looking to invest in something as well as have fun with it. IMO, best looking "drift" car, and also the most rare. Since it is rare, a well taken care of corolla appreciates, rather than depreciates in value. 240sx and miatas are too common and more drift "fanboy", so I disagree with you there as well. Oh, and to answer your question, I want a hatch. Why? Because they are more rare than the coupe.

Btw, how did you make your AV disappear? That's a neat trick u got there.

24. Saicho

Saicho New Member

Hehe, that's further than I wanna go right now. Besides, I'd rather one stock (and running).

25. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Doubtful, considering how inflated the prices are already. But since your concern is more aesthetic than dynamic, go ye and buyeth the car you desire. Good luck.