Where to get a gaming rig built?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mjbjhu, May 2, 2007.

1. mjbjhu

mjbjhu Because it's your dog...

I was going to build my own computer but I don't really have the time any more nor do I want to mess with it since I don't know if I would be able to do it right.

Therefore, I am looking to buy a decent gaming rig. The most challenging game graphically that it would be used for is Microsoft Flight Simulator. Other than that, it will be used for internet and school work. I want something that is fast and will run MS Flight Simulator smoothly.

Any suggestions on what to get in it and more importantly, where to have it built? There is a local computer place around here and I may go and talk to them, but anyone have an online place with good prices?

Budget wise, I'd like to stay under $2,000 including monitor. Less is always good, more is not really an option right now. Any suggestions?

2. Create

Create :free at last:

ibuypower.com

Core 2 Duo configurator
    E6600 processor
    Intel motherboard
    2x1GB DDR 800 RAM, default brand
    WD Raptor main hard drive
    Some secondary hard drive
    Upgrade the power supply to a thermaltake

Pick up monitor seperately.

3. mjbjhu

that was one of the places I looked at briefly when doing a web search, they are a decent place to go with then?

4. Create

Yes, they are. Good prices, quality components if you pick them, CS is passable.

The only complaints I've heard are a few stories about how somone's box diddn't ship for several weeks. That's the exception, not the rule.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Do yourself a favor. Shop the general features you're looking for from some of the big name companies as well as iBuypower. Nothing at all wrong iBuypower.
    But you might be surprised to see some of the deals the big guys offer from time to time.

6. mjbjhu

yeah I will thanks. My only concern is that some of the bigger guys (dell, HP, etc) use proprietary components that if I go to upgrade later will make it a bit harder. At least that is my understanding, but correct me if I'm wrong.

7. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

+1

Bought my laptop from them.

8. Doc Brown

Yeah, that is quite often the case.

9. mjbjhu

well, I'll still check them out. Maybe by then if I need to upgrade I will have enough experience and time to want to build my own so it won't be a problem.

On a different note, does ibuypower ever send out coupon codes or specials or anything?

10. Create

I'm not sure.

Sometimes there are proprietary concerns, but with decent research/product knowledge it's not too tough to find out exactly what you will/won't be able to do down the road with it.

fatwallet.com
    slickdeals.net

11. Doc Brown

I keep both of those sites in my favorites.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There are two good things about Dells:

1. The green lever that locks the PCI cards in place so you don't have to mess with tiny screws.

2. It's not good enough to feel bad about tossing/donating/posting on CraigsList in two years.

Seriously, Dell cuts corners in so many ways, and they do an excellent job of making sure the corners they cut are in places you won't notice until the warranty expires. We've got a bunch of Dell Precision 530 workstations at my office, and the only reason they're still usable is because they have LSI MegaRAID cards and dual Xeon 4 processors. The one Dell Dimension 8300 that we have actually takes longer to reproject a GeoTIFF** than an old HP NetServer from 1999. The Dimension was bought in 2004 and has SATA hard drives and a Pentium 4HT 3.0GHz processor, whereas the HP NetServer has Ultra160 SCSI hard drives and two 700MHz Pentium 3 processors. It's sobering that the older machine is still faster.

**my company makes digital maps. GeoTIFFS are aerial photographs that have latitude/longitude coordinates for every single pixel in the image. When those coordinates don't fit within the boundaries of the Earth-surface model we're using for any given map, we have to run a program that recalculates the latitude/longitude coordinates so the GeoTIFF will show up in the right location. It's a VERY processor-intensive process.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  13. mjbjhu

Sounds kind of cool. I have pretty much sworn off Dells after my family has had 3 and they all strated to crap out right as the warrenty expired. Not to mention their customer service sucked ass hole. If I go big name it would be HP or Gateway or anything but Dell.

14. Create

An HP computer as you main desktop will shoten your lifetime by a good 3 years.

To even suggest Gateway is laughable.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

HP makes good business-grade computers. I wouldn't buy a consumer machine though.

16. Create

The good thing about their business side is that you can custom config desktops to exactly what you want both on h/w and s/w.

The bad thing is that the person discussing it with you doesn't know jack. My mother had this job for a time. She diddn't know the parts of a standalone desktop, let alone an enterprise solution.

17. mjbjhu

:rofl: I guess they are out too. I'll just save up some more money and get a well built computer from a place like ibuypower.

18. Create

Here's a copy/paste of a motherboard explanation and $1600 w/o monitor spec I just did for someone else:
    Get an Antec case at the $100-$150 mark. That leaves over $400 for a very nice lcd.

When you build, cords won't fit into places where they're not suppossed to go. Read 20 pages in the motherboard manual and you'll know what to do.

I doubt it'd take you more than 4 hours from having all the parts to beginning to load the operating system.

19. mjbjhu

cool thanks. maybe I will build after all.

20. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

I just built mine. Yes, purchasing the parts yourself is cheaper. If you encounter bugs/conflicts etc...that's where the time is mostly spent upgrading drivers and 'fixing' all the issues. From my experience, if you have all the top o' line hardware...that's where the conflicts arise. Do your homework first.

I would prefer to have it custom built by someone else. They will have it running smoothly and all the updated drivers on disk when you receive it.

If you have the time, build it. :bigthumb:

21. NPH

NPH Guest

PS3 /thread

22. Doc Brown

As long as you had your present build to post on, you would get all the help you need in here.

23. mjbjhu

awesome:bigthumb:

I'm starting tho think I will build now. I'll post up the components I am thinking of when I figure it out