MMA where to buy MMA gloves, and why?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bruised Lee, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

where should i buy a couple of pairs of mma gloves? are there kinds that are better than others? why?

thanks.

i'm going to target to buy mouth pieces.

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

maybe buy the ouano ones? theyre the ones they use in the UFC.

and why? i'd expect the ones they use in UFC are good

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

4. Bruised Lee

man, the only difference b/t the Ouano bag and fighting gloves is the open palms holes for the fighting ones, and thats 20 bucks extra? shit. the century ones are poly urathane in the knuckle padding... i found that with my punching bad i heavily prefer leather over P.U.

thanks guys, at least i know that the average price now.

5. JordanClarkson

www.txmma.com/cart also has nice gloves. The quality is the same as the knock offs but the holes are rounded for better comfort. They are sold out though. I'd always get large because it gets really tight when you have wraps on as well

6. Sammo

Sammo New Member

in for answer

7. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I have the quano ufc gloves myself, got them from sherdog.com

I like them so far, I've done a little sparring with them and a fair amount of bagwork.

8. Bruised Lee

ooh, those look nice, i think they are all leather right? and gell filled? do you know if all their models are gel filled? or are some made of the ouano stuff? man i wonder when they get thier stock back.

9. Mirwolf

Mirwolf Im confused and so am I

Taken from Sherdog:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278245

So the topic of MMA gloves comes up a lot on this board (for obvious reasons)

So hopefully a Mod will put this where people can see it before they make another thread.

Right now the best gloves on the Market are as follows:

For Competition: The Fairtex MMA Glove is the obvious choice, there isn't even a glove that comes close right now. Ko fight gear is in the process of making a new glove, but right now if you are fighting, you want the Fairtex glove.

Good construction, good wrist support, and most importantly, it hits like a ton of bricks. This is the glove most Pro's will use if the org. doesn't provide gloves, and the official gloves of many promotions already.

For Training/Sparring: Shooto style gloves are the best option overall, plenty of padding, great for good go's of Ground and Pound practice. The protection of a boxing glove without the bulkyness that gets caught under arms so easily.
    Twins makes a good glove, and they are the only one I have experience with, but Ouano and others make a Shooto style glove as well.

For Overall training: use the Truth MMA glove is a safe bet. Easily one of the least expensive gloves out there, this glove follows the Harbinger, Century, etc style of gloves, where padding is good enough for sparring, and still has the ability to pack a good punch. Construction and wrist support are also going to hold up to repeated use.

For Bag work: The Harbinger MMA/bag glove is what I have had good success with. Again, good construction and wrist support combined with a small plastic bar in the palm for better fist formation. (bar is easily removed with a seam ripper)

I train 2-3 hours a day with Team Bison out of Bloomington Minnesota (www.teambison.net)

All of my opinions are based completly from experience with products. I have on order right now, a pair of the pro mma gloves from miccsmartialarts.com, and once they are done I get to test market the new KO fightgear gloves. I'll post reviews of both gloves, and change the rankings of this thread if they are better than the listed gloves.

Feel free to PM me with questions, or to discuss my picks vs your picks.

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

A friend of mine has 2 pairs for 17 each I think... not sure where he got em.

11. JordanClarkson

They're leather. Some are gel are some are eva. I think the gels are $30

12. Bruised Lee

nice!!! exactly what i was looking for.

i want training gloves for sparring, not compitition knock out power. i will take a look at twins shooto style glove. if Truth gets their stock back soon, i will get those.

13. Bruised Lee