where should i keep my heart rate when doing cardio if i want to burn fat?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sean6293, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

should i take it easy and keep my heart rate in the 65% of max range and not bust my ass to get my heart rate up to the 80-85% of max range? the machines say that 65% zone is the fat burning zone? :dunno:

2. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

google high intensity interval training

3. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

interesting. so i guess it doesn't need to be running, i could do this sort of program on an elliptical or bike?

4. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

Definitely do not bust your ass. You can mimick all of the fat asses who walk at 2mph while reading US Weekly and continue to be fat asses...

Try both if you want - my experience has been the harder i work the better the reward. I'd vote intervals between 65% and 85% HIIT style. And yes you can use a bike, eliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, barbell complexes, burpees/plyo style workout, or any combination of them.

5. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

i don't walk at 2mph, i use the elliptical until my heart rate is at the fat burn rate. i've heard that if you work too hard (get your heart rate too high) your body stops burning fat and starts burning glucose and eventually muscle for energy. I have been on a low carb diet for a few months so i don't have much glucose to burn so i don't want to bust my ass on the machine only to have it burn muscle tissue instead of fat tissue. :dunno:

i'm not afraid to work hard, i had been doing 60 minutes at 85% 4-5x a week.

6. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

if your diet is in check, and you have fat you want to get rid of....just up the time, but keep your heart rate 60-80%...personally I will lose 4 ounces of muscle to lose 5 lbs of fat....there was a good article about this on t-nation that I read last night....titled "Advice you don't want to hear"...

here is the excerpt
    -----------------

Dr. Clay Hyght: Do Your Damn Cardio

"How do I get rid of this?" the person asks as he grabs the excess fat around his midsection. It's by far the most common question I get.

Unfortunately, the answer to that question also happens to be the most ignored advice I've ever offered: "Do more cardio."

Nothing aggravates me more than a person asking for my advice, but not following it. It makes me want to quote Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket: "Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag, puke piece o' shit, Private Pyle, or did you have to work on it?"

If your diet is in check and your training program is squared away, then how in the hell else do you think you can burn more fat? Is the Fat Fairy going to wave her lipolysis wand and make you lean?

I know what some of you are about to say: "Won't I burn muscle?" To paraphrase Sgt. Hartman: "That's right. Don't make any fucking effort. If God wanted you to be lean he would have miracled that fat off your ass, wouldn't he?"

The fact is, most people don't have what it takes to diet so hard and do so much cardio that they burn any muscle tissue at all, much less a measurable, noticeable amount. Let's review some basic exercise physiology:

The primary fuel for low-intensity exercise — aka steady-state cardio — is fat. The primary fuel for high-intensity exercise — weight training, intervals, and start-stop sports like basketball or hockey — is carbohydrate. Following high-intensity exercise, your body burns more fat than it otherwise would, thanks to EPOC — excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, more commonly referred to as the afterburn.

In neither circumstance is the protein stored in your muscles a significant fuel source.

Only under extreme deprivation does your body try to burn muscle to meet energy demands. And even then, there's an easy and painless way to give your body supplemental protein to use as energy: branched-chained amino acids. Tasty as it is, your body will gladly bypass your muscle tissue if there's an easier way to get what it needs.

But let's forget what I just said, and assume you're training so hard and dieting so seriously that your body has no choice but to burn some of your muscle for fuel. If I said you could get to 5% body fat, but at the cost of three ounces of muscle, wouldn't you take that tradeoff?

If not, then your problem may not be physiological, if you get my drift.

Two more excuses I hear more often than I'd like:

"But I already do cardio." Unless you're Dexter Jackson, you won't get ripped with 30 minutes of treadmill walking three times a week.

"Can't I just take fat burners?" Sure ... if you're already doing three hours a week of steady-state cardio, along with an hour of high-intensity intervals. Fat-burning supplements are not replacements for cardio.

My advice: If you're doing as much as you can with your diet and your strength training, and you still aren't as lean as you want to be, you need to stop looking for excuses and just do your damned cardio.

-------------------------

taken from http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ning_performance/advice_you_dont_want_to_hear

7. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yes, your body stops burning fat and starts using glucose. However, this is not relevant. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what substrate you utilize during exercise. What matters is the caloric deficit at the end of the day. That dictates the amount of potential fat loss, not what substrate is tapped into to fuel a workout.

The only time you need to worry about cardio and muscle loss is when you are really really lean to begin with or are very ectomorphic/can't keep weight on.. in which you should probabluy just not do cardio much.

8. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

question, since i'm not really eating many carbohydrates, will my body burn more fat for fuel when i'm at higher intensities or will it turn to muscle to burn? i've been eating under 30grams of carbs a day. :dunno:

another question: after reading that i feel like i should do 30minutes of HIIT then maybe followed by 30-45minutes of ~70% intensity..... would that make sense?

9. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

the reason i asked is because i'm not eating carbs so i want my body to burn fat, not muscle for fuel. :dunno:

10. NUDES

NUDES New Member

If you are eating zero carbs I wouldn't do hard cardio. If you are truly on low carbs it will be hard to do hard cardio anyway.. once you are depleted your body will not have an energy source to effectively fuel cardiovascular exercise. It will do weight training fine, but hard cardio = need carbs./

11. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

what about if i'm doing low intensity cardio? doesn't your body burn fat when you aren't working as hard?

12. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

yes, but higher intensity burns more fat in the same amount of time thanks to other various factors

13. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

well i'm confused. if i'm on a low carb diet and have a lot of fat mass to lose, what would be my most effective strategy when going to the gym? :hs:

14. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

just do moderate cardio as long as your diet is in check fat will come off....if it doesnt come off enough or fast enough but your diet is clean as fuck, then simply do more cardio

15. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

should i skip on the HIIT sessions?

16. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

get bigger muscles and burn calories

17. Soldier101

Soldier101 Member

I would personally prefer to do 15 minutes of HIIT then 45 minutes of moderate cardio, try them both out for a month at a time and see how you like them

18. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

i think i'm going to try that. i'm off to the gym now so i'l try 15 minutes intervals then 45minutes at moderate intensity.

thanks everyone.

19. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

HIIT > *

Nothing shreds fat faster for me.

20. Simplicity

Simplicity OT Supporter

fixed

21. Simplicity

Simplicity OT Supporter

keep your diet in check, and do some 30-40 mins of cardio at a constant HR (like 65% i guess? idk i go by feel... its not that hard of a workout honestly) and you wont lose much muscle or any

22. Simplicity

Simplicity OT Supporter

you can do it before breakfast (or before you eat carbs). but just try and get it 3x a week or more pics of you?

23. Simplicity

Simplicity OT Supporter

if you are crazy fat anything you do will help

24. NUDES

NUDES New Member

DOPNT EVER POST 4 TIMES IN A ROW AGAIN ASIAN FUCKFACE

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  25. Simplicity

Simplicity OT Supporter

WHO THE FUCK U THINK UR SPEAKIN TO BRO

JUST CHILL THE FUCK OUT

Thread Status: