SRS Where is the maturity in highschool?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gman427, Apr 5, 2009.

1. gman427

gman427 New Member

I am in a pretty good highschool, a medium/high wealth suburban area. But at my highschool for every nice person there are 10 a-holes. But to be honest I was going to some low wealth areas, and hanging out with people from there, and they are by far more nice and mature.

After some thinking I realize that most people at my high school all mean, and think there tough, but really they are just little wimps deep down. :hsugh:. Because of this I stopped hanging out with preps/jocks and begin hanging with average joes, and nice people. This also cause me to stop doing sports, just because I didn't feel like dealing with those pathethic losers, and I was just "sick of it."

Recently, this one one kid, saw me walking to my house(I was at a park). So then he yelled to me "Look at me dick head," so I did, and then I can tell he was just trying to cause trouble, so I just walked away.(He was about 25 feet away.) But as soon as I turned around he kept on yelling at calling me names, and soon he began chucking rocks at me. As I walked I felt the rocks,about the size of a golf ball, hit me in the leg, but I was used to this small pain because I did some Boxing, and BJJ. Eventaully he stopped, but I was amazed at his immaturity. :rofl: I proably could beat him up if I had to, but I just had a feeling the next day he would bring a knife or gun, and do some bad things. :noes:

I just needed to vent a little.

2. bigballofyarn

bigballofyarn OT Supporter

Wealth tends to create greed and snobby attitudes. Not every rich person is greedy and snobby, but in my experience, a lot are.

Unfortunately some people never grow up, no matter how old they get.

In high school a lot of people are rude and immature. Everyone has the pressure of conforming, trying to fit in, and meeting unrealistic standards. You desperately try to fit into any group and do anything possible to "belong" even if it means knowing down another person or another group of people.

As for the guy on the street... some people are like that. They need to prove their masculinity by putting someone down or winning in some type of fight. I believe you made the best decision in choosing to ignore him. Retaliation would have further provoked him. Ignoring him probably pissed him off since you didn't let him get to you.

3. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

For the last, say, 20 years or so, kids have lived in a generation where the tv, games, or other gadgets are the babysitters. Parents are too busy to mind their children, attending to their own agendas and not wanting to be bothered. So in essence, today's kids have no concept of rules or respect for others. They also have an attitude of entitlement, that the world owes them and they shouldn't have to work for it. Unfortunately you are in that generation, but are probably one of the few whose parents actually did teach you a few things :hs:

4. *RARA*

*RARA* New Member

meh ya that sucks. praise to you for not responding.

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

youtube.com/watch?v=tI6TZUBW7TA

You may have caused more problems for yourself in the long run. He might come back to push your buttons some more, be prepared. Stay alert of your surroundings etc.

6. gman427

gman427 New Member

Yea, he came back today, but he just began calling me names, which is really pathetic I be honest:)

7. Daria

Daria New Member

I think that kid deserves a good, swift beating. Ignoring people never solved anything for me in highschool.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think it's pretty obvious there is no maturity in high school.

I remember when I graduated from high school, I thought to myself that my life will have its twists and turns, but that I had reached a point where I was fundamentally the person I always would be. Then I went to college and proceeded to change and grow at a pace that made my head spin.

At the end of college I was smart enough not to fool myself with that way of thinking again. ;) And I was right.

Maturity isn't a plateau that you reach; this is a misconception propagated by the myth of "adulthood". Maturity is the process of change and adaptation itself that gives you the skills to deal with an ever-widening array of scenarios without shitting your pants.

9. northw3st

northw3st New Member

Don't worry - this will end after you get out of high school.

I teach high school by the way, I have to put up with it for the rest of my life until retirement. A bunch of kids who know they're right.

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

You did the right thing, except taking your eye off your opponent. Never do that, but also never scowl, react or otherwise make faces at your opponent, and stay silent regardless of what direction you attempt to go, don't say anything even if the individual is provoking you with words. Words are not weapons in the mind of someone who understands their intention. Their intention is to motivate you to make the wrong choice.

If the situation escalates to a physical confrontation that you can't avoid, do what I do -- give the individual an opportunity to stop (unless they've already thrown the first punch, or...kick, or rock, like in your case).

Tell them "Listen carefully, I do not want to fight you, but if you choose to continue, we'll both likely walk away with more injuries than we went in with. There is nobody here to impress -- perhaps it would be in your best interest to wait until there is -- that way when you embarrass yourself, at least you'll have an audience. Think it over carefully, this decision will change the course of your life.

If there is an audience already present, then you can say the same thing except:

"Listen carefully, I do not want to fight you, but if you choose to continue, we'll both likely walk away with more injuries than we went in with. Perhaps it would be in your best interest to walk away now rather than later -- that way you won't embarrass yourself in front of so many people. Think it over carefully, this decision will change the course of your life, and everyone here will know that you provoked it by making the wrong decision."

If the individual does choose to attack, make sure to use amateur street fighting tactics. You are probably not trained, so you must use basics. Bite, grasp or kick the genitals, gouge the eyes, punch or attempt to smack (with the side of your hand) or grasp the wind pipe in a crushing or punching motion with the palm of your hand and try to end the attack as soon as you possibly can. You can also side kick them in the knee or thigh as they approach, this will force them to bend over to grasp the leg, leaving them exposed for your final attack. The goal is not to embarrass or severely injure . They have already done that to themselves by provoking the fight, but rather the goal is to defend yourself long enough to disable them and end the conflict. Again, don't take your eye off the opponent even after the conflict has ended.

Remember not to talk after you've begun fighting, nor after, only initially when you're forced to, to give them the opportunity to walk away.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  11. gman427

gman427 New Member

Well he did stop trying to annoy me for now anyway, it also seems like he stop walking the way I do home. I assume he just went to someone else to annoy. But if he ever does come back I will take your advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
  12. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I wrote more above. Some practical tips that someone your age and skill can use.

13. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Have you been going to school in this area your entire life or did you just transfer in there? I know when I transfered to another school in a different state in 10th grade I never had very many friends b/c I was always seen as the outsider, same shit everyone had their "click" by then and weren't accepting any applications :rolleyes: It gets better in college everyone has to start fresh

14. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Good Advice in this thread.

Here is the advice I want to add -

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF DEFENDING YOURSELF PHYSICALLY.

"Douche bags" can smell a "wuss" miles away, and you probably give off that vibe (sorry :) ). I say "wuss" because we live in a culture where anyone who is respectful and honorable is considered weak. People, especially those in high school (due to the developmental psychology which occurs in those years) look for extremes and test their abilities and strategies in life by choosing ideals such as performing as a "douche bags".

Sometimes the quickest and easiest way to dispel the myth of being a "wuss" is through belting a fuck in the face.

This is someone who believes in non-violence, and who studies it academically - I would never, ever start a fight or fight unless for sport or self defense, and do not condone that for you. I just want to bring up the mindfulness that if this boy ever touches you or physically endangers you that you have a obligation to ask yourself if the lifelong psychological trauma of that outweighs the risks of a physical altercation.

For me, I would go with the fighting and its side effects after living with the effects of bullying in my teen years into my mid 20's.

15. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Are you serious?

Maturity in high school?

:rofl:

That doesn't happen, anyone in high school is a damn fool. All of them. I didn't think I was when I was in high school, but now that I'm older I realize that I probably was.

from 9th grade through senior year in college the main priority was getting as much pussy as possible. Grades were second, but they came easy for me; not trying to brag but they really were...except english, I don't know why the fucking bitch wore red instead of yellow, it doesn't mean "blood anguish and bullshit" it means the red shirt matched her stupid bitchy red belt. God Damnit. I've never done well in english classes, I don't think that way.

oh wow i was about to go on a rant, I better stop...I could write a thesis paper on how much I hate fucking english classes.

16. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I know it won't quite don't give a fuck.

This is true though, stand up for yourself. If you don't it'll follow you the rest of your life.

I was picked on a lot because the teachers for some fucking reason always liked to announce the highest grade maker in the class and it was always fucking me, so everyone thought I was some brainiac... fuck that, I just don't have a broken brain.

I had to fight a lot in middle school, after 10th grade and kicking two guys' asses in the name of my whore girlfriend's name they left me alone after that :o

Stupid fucking jocks, one of those fuckers threw my $190 jeans in the toilet while I was changing out in the changing room after P.E. and I smashed his head into the lockers, picked him up by his feet with his head on the ground and jabbed my foot into his stomach, it apparently hurt him a lot but not enough to stop him coming after me when I left the changing room. Then I did a really pussy thing and grabbed him by his shirt colar and spun him around 'till I got enough momentum to make him slide across the basketball court past the half way line. It couldn't have hurt him, but he left me alone after that :o

17. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

oh i'm not trying to sound like a bad ass or nothing...i got lots of stories on how my pathetic attempts at fighting worked out :hs: One time I wailed on a dude as much as I could and he fucking started laughing when I was too tired to hit anymore :wtc: The teacher broke that up before he beat my face in though :)

18. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Forget about maturity in high school.

I thought I was mature in high school. I wasn't. You probably aren't either.

19. gman427

gman427 New Member

Your proably right I'm not mature, I meant to say more respectful of others. I also have gone to this school from the begging and know most of them for a couple of years. I have also been into many fights a couple years ago, with some douche bags. But I ended the fight really quickly with no noticable damage to him. Nothing works better then throwing him down and taking his shoe and putting It in one out I many trashcans.:) Best part is no one saw the fight, so no circle developed.

20. Quintessence

Quintessence New Member

I think it is biased to label the described aggression as immaturity. I see it as human nature that isn't checked properly. It is quite ironic that I criticize you for being biased when I am being subjective as well in making my reply from personal experiences, but nevertheless, I've always found that I have an urge to control people -- to make sure that, whenever I look at them, they have fear in their eyes and know the consequences of going against my will. However, we see the same "bullying" of sorts on a higher scale as well -- in international politics, in religion, etc. Humans, I believe, inherently just want to be a dominant figure in a community of all sorts, and, in this case, it is in the communities of the educational system. I suppose, however, that the difference can be loosely defined in their "maturity."

The United States of America knows full well how to bully other nations, but it doesn't use annoying aggression as it is described by the OP in his experiences. "Speak softly but carry a big stick" ~Teddy Roosevelt. This is what I would see as a more developed and influential form of this human nature. In most high schools, elementary schools, etc., however, the general people in those places have not developed enough in how to control humans in the most optimal way; therefore, they merely opt for the easiest pathway by using force, name-calling, or whatever in their bullying. In that way, they are more so immature in what they do in relation to the other forms of society with that same problem. However, would you really rather have those deemed "immature" in their aggression be more sophisticated and better at what they do?

Of course, a learning community that focuses its efforts on the education solely itself with a progressive society without otiose hindrances would be what I would want -- without the needless aggression, bullying, etc. -- but I just think that finding those are way too far-fetched, though I don't doubt that there are some schools with a community as that somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  21. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:werd:
    I came here to say this.

22. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

Why the hell would you want to be mature in high school?

You think your better then the system?

You can't avoid the system. Even when you do, it is still part of the system.

Live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. ForevererZero89

ForevererZero89 New Member

no such thing as maturity in high school. hell that goes for most of collage as well.

24. Maximillion

Maximillion New Member

So true... first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

25. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Sometimes kids just need a good ass beating. When I was in middle school this kid fucked with me for months until I landed a hit straight into his face. Kid started crying and never messed with me again.

Still got suspended but even my principle told me good job. And my mom didn't seem to mind either. :dunno: