Where is the Hardware problem...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Nov 13, 2003.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So I decided I would ghost a number of machines to the W2K server's 76 Gb SCSI HD via DOS. I started with a machine and the ghost worked fine, but I decided I'd verify it. It came back with an error. So I did it again, ghosted fine but came back with an error after verifying it. Tried it again - same problem. You get the picture. So I decided to copy the file over to another computer (random W2K Pro computer) and verify it, same problem. Then I ghosted the computer onto the other computer and verified it. No problem. I then copied the file back to the server, the one I had just verified, and verified it again, an error. So - we've got a file that I'm guessing is not writing to the HD on the server properly, but not causing an error during the actual writing, it only becomes a problem when you read it back. So I figure - well it must be a bad HD right? Well I try the same experiment on an IDE drive in the server. Exact same problems.

So if it's not the HD's, or the controller - then it's got to be the LAN card, or the OS itself right? Or am I missing something?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i've had problems with ghosting over a network before.... might be one of your cards?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Could be - but on top of that the server is also having issues reseting itself. I think I'm going to try a reinstall of the OS since that's the cheapest option, I've got another HD on the way just in case I have more than one problem (if I only have one problem, it can't be the HD but I need a spare anyway).

It's really weird - it can't be the HD, because it's happened to both SCSI's, can't be controller because it's happened to the IDE, I guess it could be the LAN card, memory, CPU, MB or OS. Well - let's see what happens when I rule out the OS.