Where in BIOS does it let you use SATA and IDE hdd's on the same channel?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, May 9, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

I dont know if I worded that right but I installed Windows on a friend's computer with a SATA hdd. After everything was done I couldnt get his old IDE hdd to show up so he could tranfser all his music and whatnot. I then swapped out one of the CD-ROM drives to the hdd and it worked. Is there a setting I need to change so it recognizes the IDE hdd when plugged to the same channel?

On another note, how do I re-assign drive letters so that the hard drive would be C:, D:, and E: instead of C:, F:, G:?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

SATA and IDE are different interfaces, so they cannot be on the same channel.

In this BIOS, make sure in the settings that you have all IDE channels set to auto. If they are already set that way the jumpers may not be set correctly.

To reassign drive letters, right click on My Computer, go to manage, and click on disk management. You'll be able to right click on the drives there and change the letters around.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Ill check the BIOS again. For the jumpers, I tried it on master, slave, and cable select and it didnt detect either of them.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Is the IDE hard drive going on an IDE channel by iteself or with another device?

If it's by itself, try it without any jumpers.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

by itself

ok