where/how is best to get a digital signature for email

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Feb 6, 2006.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

I'm reading Stephenson's Cryponomicon, and it reawakened my interest in encryption, authentication, et cetera. Combine that with the recent discussion in TWiT about Leo's key. I would like to start using a digital signature on my emails. I understand the underlying concept and principles, I just don't know about how to go about starting.

I'm using Thunderbird as my email client. I have the Enigmail extension, but it is not installed.

As an additional, slightly off topic question, what do you use for secure IM?

Thank you for your time.

2. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

ive considered this myself, but 98% of my emails are personal to friends / GF... nothing business or financial, although other people reading my conversations isnt a pleasant thought, theres nothing that interesting in them in the first place to even spark someone to want to read them.

anyways, the recipient would need a decryption device for reading your mails then, right?

in for answers.......

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

google://PGP

Cryptonomicon is good. If you're interested in crypto, then get a copy of Bruce Schneier's Applied Cryptography.

4. 01000101

01000101 New Member

okay, i have enigmail and GnuPG installed. generated a keypair, exported the key. now, im assuming it would be best to upload this to the keyservers. however, there is a disclaimer on one of the setup pages on mozdev:

is this something i should be worried about? the email addy i used when creating the key is not one that i have any interest whatsoever in dealing with spam on.

should i create another key on a yahoo account that is already completely drenched in spam?

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

i prefer GPG, but PGP is good as well.