GUN Where felons get their guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Nov 29, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/4772426.html?source=enews&c=y
    Gun Control 2006: The Good, The Bad and the Deadly
    Gun Control: The Good, The Bad and the Deadly -- A NewsChannel 3 Special Report
    A NewsChannel 3 Special Report
    Posted: 1:55 AM Nov 29, 2006
    Last Updated: 1:58 AM Nov 29, 2006
    Reporter: Randy Yohe

Maxine Turley wants some answers. What she knows, what upsets her so, is where and how a mentally ill Jason Carder got the handgun to kill her grandaugher Lara and then kill himself.

A prison inmate survey reveals only two percent of inmates say they got their gun from a flea market...12 precent from a store or pawn shop. The vast majority: 80 percent...from a family friend a street buy or other illegal source.

The U.S. Justice Department says more than 200 million Americans own at least one gun. That's more than any other country in the world, and they say that number swells by several million more guns every year.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Are there really idiots who are shocked by this or think its disturbing? We're the worlds 3rd largest country...behind paragons of freedom like china. Duh.

3. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

70 million new guns out there and the crime rate keeps on falling! Must be the responsible guys hoarding all the guns from the bad guys.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm trying :o

5. Iceburn

Iceburn Made in the USA

and that shows that weapon bans wont do shit

6. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I thought Canada actually had more guns per capita :dunno:

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

just goes to show we need more penalties for gun related crime, and not the ban on guns. It's not that the bans do anything if they're getting them illegally.
    If we put in another ban, what's the criminal gonna do, say "aw shucks, i can't buy that pistol cause it's illegal"? NO. He's gonna go to his local dealer who prolly already has plenty of guns, and give him a couple bills and get himself a gat.

Only harsher and more penalties for gun related crime will do anything, and little at that.

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I think that was just the highest total number, not per captia. And I thought Switzerland had the highest per capita in the world.

9. t1h

t1h Guest

so what about the other 6%?

10. t1h

t1h Guest

how will a harsher prison sentence deter gun crimes? Its only anecdotal but I've never heard a criminal say "oh the punishment for committing that crime is too harsh so I just won't do it"

11. they will probably apply the harsher gun related penalties to law abiding legal gun owners though for defending themselves

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

While its true that harsher penalties aren't often a deterrent (see: death penalty), they do keep people from hitting the streets as quickly and being a repeat offender as quickly.

13. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Stolen maybe? :dunno: