GUN Where does one start?? I'm a gun noob

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coottie, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Last week, my house was broken into while I was at work and I'm seriously thinking about getting a gun for protection. I'm thinking about a shotgun as opposed to a hand gun.

My problem, I'm not 100% sure I want to have a gun around the house. Primarily because I wasn't raised around them and but for a very brief time in my 20s, I've never spent time shooting or training with them. I actually don't like being around guns that much, I'm very intimidated by them and I do not feel comfortable holding them. I think this is because of my lack of experience with them.

So where does someone like me even begin? I mean I'm working on myself first...asking myself some hard questions and doing some soul searching and I'm not sure if I want to own a gun or not.....yet.

How does one go from being a total gun noob to actually buying, training and living with a gun? This prolly sounds very silly to you guys but it's where I'm at. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

In terms of protection, I view firearm ownership with the perspective of the
    options (and problems) it creates in a worst case situation. If you don't have
    a lethal weapon (or one that inflicts severe, traumatic, and incapacitating
    injury), then your options are really to flee, hide, pray, or fight back with
    physical force. With a firearm, you have the option of all of those, plus the
    ability to keep the "bad guy" at a distance and still inflict damage.

With limited knowledge of firearms, you SHOULD be uncomfortable around
    them. Being arrogant or foolhardy could easily get you hurt, so being
    uncomfortable isn't a bad thing necessarily.

In terms of learning, ask friends that own firearms, and are reasonably
    mature and intelligent to give you some information. If they seem competent
    ask them to take you to a range and observe, and try if you're comfortable
    with it. My advice, when you first learn, load single rounds at a time until
    you're used to the recoil, function, and so on. Realistically, you should be
    able to operate the weapon in its unloaded state reasonably well before you
    pull the trigger on a live round.

Most gun stores/shops will accomodate someone who is learning, many have
    "rental guns" available, quite a few offer reasonably priced lessons. Asking
    the people available to you locally would not be a bad step, and don't feel
    bad about asking, better to ask and be educated than to shoot yourself
    or someone else out of ignorance.

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Before late 2006, I'd never owned a gun or really been around them much. Dad had some rifles, a shotgun, and a revolver, but I almost never saw or used them. While not especially intimidated by them, I never really had the natural familiarity with them that many grow up with. When I was a kid, I only used firearms at scout camp or the occasional vacation to someplace where they could be used.

Any of your friends own firearms? Go to the range with them. Take a safety class. Rent some guns at the range. Decide what you like, obtain it, then practice with some regularity.

I will confess that I got into firearms in late 2006 without receiving any classroom training. I went to the range with richk, fired his XD9, then bought a Glock 17 the next weekend. I depended on what I remembered as a kid, some reading, and whatever common sense I might posess.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think something to ask yourself is are you comfortable with the idea of pointing a gun at a person and killing them if they break into your home? If you're unsure of your comfort with the weapon, having it and not being able to use it if you need might be more of a liability. Also don't think the gun is the answer to everything, make your house more secure. Get a dog or alarm, put in better locks, make sure your door frames secure, etc.

I think the best thing you could do would be find a basic gun safety class in your area. Check here http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp and call your local shooting ranges and see whats offered. Take a class in the basics, and then maybe a starter shotgun class. Once you know more and know a little about how to handle them safely you can decide if you still want that shotgun or not. Then you can get it and take a home defense training class to get more skills than the basics.

Really guns are nothing to be scared of. Its not going to go off unless you pull the trigger. Keep your finger off the trigger unless you want to shoot, be sure to watch you point the end of the gun, and treat the gun like its always loaded. If you get careless with where you point it, thinking its unloaded, or playing with the trigger you'll get into trouble.

5. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

to put things in perspective.......

people who go snow skiing for the first time usually take lessons so they
    won't fall down and break their ankle.

lots and lots of people operate motorcycles and buy guns with no education
    whatsoever.......

so yes...getting educated through classes or by a reliable friend is a good
    start.

6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

7. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I would encourage you to think of it more as being cautious rather than uncomfortable. Remember, a gun is not some magic or sentient creature that will spring up off the table and kill people. It's a tool, no different than a hammer or a crane.

People are taught how to use cranes to operate them safely. A gun will be no different. Find a local range and/or gun store, and inquire about gun safety classes to learn the safe handling and operation of a firearm. From there, you should find someone friendly to take you to shoot or find some further, low-intensity course that will allow you to familiarize yourself with handling and shooting. Once you've gained confidence in your handling skills, you should look into some more advanced training course teaching laws regarding self-defense in your area and defensive skills employing the weapon.

Keep in mind, you'll want some way of securing the weapon in your home when you're not there if you do not intend to carry it with you. And, as mentioned, to own a gun for purposes of defense, you must prepare yourself mentally; remember that a gun is a lethal weapon. By having one, you have automatically ensured that any confrontation you get into involves the potential for lethal force. Many assailants may flee when facing a gun, but many may just as well try to take the gun from you. When you make the decision to use lethal force, you must be willing to actually follow through and use it, lest it be used against you.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Personally if I had to start all over again, I would go take a class, in you case

It is strongly recommended that anyone who plans on hunting or shooting complete a hunter education class.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunted.htm

then after that I would find a range that I can practice at, maybe rent a gun or borrow a buddies. See if you really like the idea and the activity. Then you can go about purchasing a gun to fit your needs. The key thing about a gun for protection is you have to comfortable with it and have enough practice with it to be able to operate it under pressure if you ever need it.

9. Coottie

Thanks...I hadn't viewed having a firearm as providing options but that's a great way to look at it.

I do have some friends that are into guns and my boss actually trains in real life situations. Back about 15 years ago I did spend a little time at the range but nothing serious and it was a crappy gun. I like your ideas tho, I'll check with a local range and see about classes and renting guns. Thanks!

10. Coottie

Yeah that actually sounds a lot like my experience.
    Yep...sounds like a good plan. Thanks!

11. Coottie

This is the "soul searching" I'm doing right now. I'm honestly not sure if I could take another persons life. It's one thing to sit here all safe and sound and not under attack....it's a totally different thing in the heat of the moment. Part of my process is to explore all aspects of owning and using a gun, simply because it's all so new to me and carries a lot of responsibility.
    Yeah I like those ideas....thanks!
    Yeah I know my fear of guns isn't necessarily right but they are dangerous and not having been around them much, it's something that I'm concerned about. However, I know there was a time in my life when I was less concerned about having guns around. Guess I'm just older and more cautious now.

Anyways, good suggestions....thanks.

12. Coottie

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working though this process mentally.....like I said before, I'm not 100% certain I can take another life.

Anyways...thanks for the feedback everyone. I really appreciate it.

13. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

i assume you drive a car... keep in mind that a car is an incredibly dangerous machine, it can be used very easily as a dangerous weapon, and yet you drive your car at relatively high speeds with other cars coming at you at similar speeds and missing you by only inches. So even tho its dangerous, you do it everyday without really thinking...

with the right approach and correct training it is possible to get to a similar position with your new firearm... although i do advise that you NEVER EVER pick up a gun and use it "without really thinking"

14. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Crackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/189)

Some really good advice in here. Definetely look into the NRA courses, there is some great info in those classes.