Where do you stop?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by CoNfUzEd ChIlD, Oct 5, 2004.

1. This might be a dumb question but: Where do you usually stop waxing/polishing a normal car?

I always figured wherever is clearcoated and/or exposed to the elements was good enough. Plus if the wheels are clear coated i'd do the same to the exterior edge.

But since i've been reading a few boards and Autopia. I've noticed some people are waxing/polishing: there windows, door jambs, inside of wheels, emblems, etc.

I'm not sure what do to and what not to do?

If Scott or any other pro chimes in: What's your opinion on hood protectors (clear film or plastic bug guards); when it comes to color fading in the long term?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Clean and protect as deeply as you want. There is no set place to stop. Obviously, daily drivers aren't normally taken to the level of a Pebble Beach Concours car but you can go all out if you want.

The clear film isn't for protection from fading, that is what the clear coat is for. It is to protect from rock chips.

3. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

Doorjams, polishing wheels, and ornaments and emblems is the only way to go i think.
    Doorjams are a huge center of nastiness and get kicked around quite a bit when i did this guys interior i polished his doorjams (after using a strong allpurpose adhesive remover) and they looked pretty awesome. I think people notice the little things and are most impressed by those.

"DAMN HE EVEN POLISHED MY DOORJAMS!"

i have never heard of polishing windows however. Not even working in a detail shop.

i use ran-x on mine though. hehe.

4. I know it's to protect rock chips; but what im concerned about is the fading due to it not able to absorb waxes or polishes.

As for a plastic bug guard; if I ever was to remove one after a few years of use. What do you about the 4 or 5 attachement points (glued circles) that havent faded and are different color then the rest of the car?

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The clearcoat has UV protection. You will be fine for the useful life of the car.

I wouldn't waste my money on a plastic bug guard. I detail trucks with them all the time and they still have bugs all over the windshield.