Where do you put your helmet?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChatChai, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

This is more directed for those that don't have bikes with storing compartments for there helmets. If you were to go to lets say the store do you always carry it along with you? Does anyone leaved it clipped onto their back seat? I do that sometimes. I take night classes and I find it cumbersome to bring along with me and I still get a bit bothered when I have to carry around the store even though it makes a nice basket for smaller stuff. I guess I'm feelin it more to since my bike is my only means of transportation at the moment since I sold my car.

2. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

get a cheap bike lock and lock into your bike, i put mine around the upper forks and leaving it hanging on the handle bars

3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

although my bike doesn't per say have a helemt lock i leave it on the bike with buell's ghetto "helmet lock" sometimes i'll carry it

4. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Well I can hange my helmet on my rear passenger seat. I just take off the seat and hook my helmet then close the seat. I was told by some riders though that some people with just cut the strap and take the helmet. Will that be the same case with your bike lock solution?

What does a helmet lock do exactly? Is cutting the strap just something I will have to deal with if it happens?

5. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

if somebody cuts your strap they are doing it just to vandalize your belongings and that person would cause problems to it no matter how you had it secured to the bike. A helmet is not very useful without a strap and helmet replacement parts almost arent worth buying they can be so expensive, not to mention I dont think you can even buy a new strap.
    If I am just at a restarant or gas station and can see the bike from inside I will just leave it on the handlebars, but if it will be out of sight I will lock it in with the helmet holder hook under the seat.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If I'm going somewhere that my bike will be out of sight I bring my lid with me.

7. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

locked to the back seat....

its also like a $120 HJC and has a couple of scratches so i doubt anyone would even want to steal it

8. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I almost always bring my helmet with me wherever I go.

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

I bring mine with me, but I always feel like a tool. Like I'm trying to show off that I have a motorcycle.

It's safe, but I'm looking for more options.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know a few people who've had there strap cut and helmet taken around here, so bringing it with you seems to be the only safe option.

11. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I spent only $165 at the show in long beach but that is still money that I wouldn't want to spend again.

Thats what I'm afraid of.

12. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

exactly...it definately brings some unneeded attention.

13. Jerm

Jerm I

I always carry it w/ me, carbon fiber helmet would get jacked quick like :hsd:

14. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

I always bring mine with me, if I had a cheaper helmet I would use a helmet lock. Just because its almost useless w/o a strap doesn't mean people won't steal it

15. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

I always carry mine, even when I go to places where I believe it wont get fucked with. Too many shady people out there, and losing a helmet for lazyness isnt worth it

16. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I'm not looking for an excuse to be lazy but rather options carrying a helmet. As I mentioned my bike is my only means of transportation at the moment and carrying it around has become cumbersome. I bought a backpack some time back to hopefully alleviate carrying it because it has a helmet pouch but I soon realized that I just added onto what I was already carrying. Looks like more a preferences I suppose. If you feel daring enough to leave it on your bike and not get jacked then do so and if not just carry the damn thing around i guess. thanks.

17. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i always carry mine.

18. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i always carry mine, but i also feel like a tool carrying it, i have a jacket to bring as well and theres no way i'm leaving that with the bike. when i go to class i strap it to my backpack strap and just let it hang. it seems to work pretty well.

19. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

The bike lock solution around the forks is probably the best idea if you have a full face helmet. Then just run the cable around the fork and then the visor opening, and the helmet isn't going anywhere unless someone brings a bolt cutter. Now, if you have an open face helmet, There isn't too much you can do. Any chance you can get some kind of carier for your bike? I don't know what your riding, do can't really point you anywhere. I have a rear carrier on my scooter, which I just got incase I wanted to carry anything. Then after a time or two out, I realized it's perfect for stashing the helmet in so I don't have to carry it, and the case locks up.

20. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

well i guess i can go the bike lock route but then again carrying the bike lock with me also is a problem.

2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Problem with that people can still fuck with the helmet, a friend had his helmet locked on the bike and someone threw a cig butt in it and dumped soda in it.

22. bOb sMiTh

bOb sMiTh Could Be Anyone

there are some fucking rude people out there!!!!

ChatChai thanks for asking the questions! I just bought my first bike and was wondering the same thing!!!!

What if someone steels it, will cops let you ride home with out it? I live where they have helmet laws!!! I dont think they would care!

23. bOb sMiTh

bOb sMiTh Could Be Anyone

Little off topic, but i wanted to say i love your pic!!!:naughty:

24. project2501

project2501 New Member

my friend left his lid on the helmet lock.....someone pissed in it. That being said, I always take mine with me.