Where do you park your bike?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pac Man, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Pac Man

Pac Man OT Supporter

I've been looking into getting a motorcycle for a long time but I don't have a garage to put it in. I could probably keep it at my friend's house but that would be a huge pain. Would it be really bad to just keep it parked outside?

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

A modern sport bike weighs not much over 400lbs with fluids. Two guys
    my size can pick it up and throw it in a truck in a few seconds.

My insurance agent says it takes 14 seconds to steal a bike that's not
    chained to something, about 24 if it is.

A garage is worth the peace of mind that my bike, car, and tools are safe.

3. Pac Man

Pac Man OT Supporter

Do you think I should still be concerned since it would be my first bike and it's not going to be anything fancy.

4. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I dont wanna scare you man but I agree with the guy above me.
    Bikes are really freakin easy to steal. It hasnt happened to me even thou I have left my bike out in parking lot overnight.
    The best bet is to get full insurance. There are insurance companies that offer full insurance for less than $500 on 600cc sport bikes. depends on your driving record of course.
    If they want it they will get it, FKN Thieves SUCK. My good friends bikes was stolen in middle of the day when it was parked on street in Downtown Cleveland (huge city).

5. walman7

walman7 "Did you hurl in my shoe?"

i live in an apartment complex (gated community) in a relatively safe area and all we have is carports and my bike has been there since beginning of january with no problems. not chained up to anything or even a bike lock on it. i figure why pay all the money on that stuff when as was said, it'll take two guys half a minute to throw it in the back of a truck....

just get comprehensive insurance and pray.

then again if you have access to a garage thats #1 option

fuck those bastards who steal peoples hard earned shit:nono: :fawk:

6. fknfast

fknfast Coming to a QB near you

yeah not a whole lot you can do without a garage, buy an alarm and chain and hope you catch the fuckers in the act (oh yeah make sure have a bat near the door)

7. Carolyn

Carolyn Guest

We keep the bikes in the garage and in the process of making enough room in the garage to get both cars inside. Too many teenagers in the neighborhood and don't want anything getting egg'd... F'kn kids!

One option you could do is to keep your bike in your apartment. I know people who live in the first floor of their apartment complex keep their bikes in the entry way by the door.

And I saw this once on one guy's bike at Best Buy... It was a security device that was locked into the rotor. I don't know the specifics but maybe someone here know's what it was...

Good luck!

8. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

i have comprehensive insurance.. i dont deal with locks and alarms and all that bullshit.... insurance is enough peace of mind.. if they want to steal your bike, no lock or alarm is gonna do jack.. just a waste of money... also i live in an apartment 1st floor and keep my bike inside at night.. another thing you can do is get a flat black bike cover.... it will deter 60% of random theives from even noticing your bike

9. Pac Man

Pac Man OT Supporter

Thanks for your input everyone. I guess theft is a bigger problem than I had thought since a lot of people seem to be really concerned. I'll be at my parent's house over the summer (still in college). I'll probably bring it around to the back of the house so that random people don't notice it when they drive by and I'm pretty sure I can also keep it in my friend's garage since he has some extra room.

10. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

im a college student too.... trust me.. dont ride a newer bike if you cant afford at least comprehensive insurance.... 4 of my 7 biker friends have gotten their bikes stolen in the last year

11. fknfast

buy a large dog and chain it to the bike, only feed it once every 3 days...theft problem solved

on another note, we are switching apartments in August i think i might request a ground floor apt just for this reason

12. fknfast

yeah one of my friends had a limited edition 04 gixxer and it got stolen out of his driveway mid afternoon and he only had liability :Owned:

Im 21 had 2 tickets and i payed lil over 500 for full coverage on my 99 F4. You will regret not spending the extra cash if you go with liability.

13. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

oh BTW you can buy fire/theft insurance for as little as $10-15/ month. not sure if all companies offer that thou.

14. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Oh one more thing, manufacturers are working on smart ECUs, like expensive cars if thieves dont have the orignal key they are out of luck. Hope they bring that to market soon. I think is also going to help with insurance rates.

15. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

im a college student, live on a 2nd floor apartment, have you considerd finding a storage facility nearby?, at least that will help with long-term (over-night) storage, as far as riding and parking it during the day, insurance is the only mind at ease solver.

16. Stylerod

Stylerod 150mph in a swimsuit :eek3:

When my wife and I lived in an apartment complex I parked my Ninja outside in the lot for about 4 years. I made sure to always park it near a light and I never had a problem. But I kept a Honda cover on it just to make sure no one would want it :p

17. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know some guys with Electra Glides that do the same thing with Goldwing covers. :big grin:

19. Team503

Team503 Guest

dude get full coverage or else lol bikeless

20. Boo439

Boo439 Punish the deed, not the breed!

We keep our bike in our living room. We live in a gated community, but the gate is open during banker's hours. Plus, all someone has to do after hours is walk the golf course and they can get into everyones' back yards. I think someone would have an easier time breaking into our garage than into our house. We have a fully protection trained GSD that roams the house. So more power to them if a thief wants to break into my house. It's their ass. lol

21. nosaj

nosaj OT Supporter

if you live in an apartment you might as well leave the keys in it. they steal harleys left and right around here and those are 600 plus pounds.