GUN Where do you keep your home defense gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twist_of_fate, Jan 28, 2004.

1. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I'll be getting my XD in about two or three weeks and it will be my all purpose gun for a while. I'm wondering how I should store it in the middle of the night. I don't anticipate anyone breaking in, but you never know anymore. I have a kid on the way, so I'm not too concerned about him walking in and shooting himself yet, so placing it in an area that gives me quick access would be the most desirable. Do you guys put under your bed, in the nightstand, in the closet, etc.? In a safe or not? If so what kind of safe? Also, do you guys keep a round in the chamber or not? I've also heard of some people having a blank round in the chamber so that if/when you go to court if you shoot or kill an intruder it shows that you tried to give him a chance to leave. Which makes sense, but seems a little impractical, since that might be your only shot. What is your opinion on that issue?

Thanks guys.

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

my 12 guage is by the bed(empty chamber). my Kimber is stashed in the living room ready to go. my kel-tec is in the computer room ready to go. i don't like the idea of a blank or dummy round, because it may be you're only shot and it also takes the place of a live round. if i didn't have cats running around, the 12guage would be ready to go. the pistols are stashed in a way that the cats can't get to them to possibly set them off. no kids yet. if and when kids arrive, i will adjust my situation accordingly. i like the fingertip access safes, but i don't have any extra $$ for them right now.

3. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

I have a small 2 gun safe with electronic fingertip lock next to the bed. The door is spring loaded and pops all the way open when the lock is tripped. It only takes a second or two to open and can be done in complete darkness. If you don't have to turn on the lights you keep the advantage over anyone that isn't familiar with the layout of your home.

Since it is locked and the kids don't have the combination and know not to touch it even if they did, I keep a round in the chamber. No external safeties to worry about so it's ready to go as soon as it's in my hand.

4. imayoda

imayoda New Member

I keep all my guns in my gunsafe, except my Beretta 96. I keep that under my bed (empty chamber).

5. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

all of my doorways are rigged with c4...

seriously, do you have children? if so, you should consider that. as for me, it is just my wife and i so i typically leave my gun on my nightstand. i have showed her the proper way to use it just in case, so she is comfortable around it now. since we do not have kids, i feel comfortable leaving it out during the night.

6. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

since we are on the subject, do you have any links for these safes? i would like to start looking around and eventually get my hands on one.

7. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Pony and imayoda, what kind of safes do you have? I haven't really looked into safes before. I'm not sure what is a good kind. The one that you were talking about Pony seems like a good one.

Dub, you beat me to it.

8. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Colt .45 On my headboard under a pillow......about a foot from my head. Single shot 410 under bed with 00 buck ready to go. :big grin: Benelli is in the truck :dunno:

9. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

This is the one I have:

http://www.buyasafe.com/customer/product.php?productid=16279&cat=256&page=1

The only problem I had with it was it would open if you hit it hard on the side. After cycling the lock a few dozen times it locks perfectly now. I even dropped it from about shoulder height onto the floor (landed flat on the bottom) and it didn't open. I was getting ready to return it but after messing with it for about 10 minutes opening and closing the door it started locking securely.

10. mrbill

mrbill New Member

sorry, no links. i see them at my local gunshop.

11. imayoda

imayoda New Member

12. itchiban

itchiban Guest

XD40 and XD9 sub both by my bedside In my open range bag (by nightstand.) Both with a round in the chamber. I've been meaning to buy a good flashlight to go in the bag as well. I really like that X5 that Dubtastic posted. Might pick one of those up. :)

13. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I really like that X5 too. After I saw the post, I decided to check around. Ebay has a few starting at 99 cents. But they get up there pretty quickly. The only problem with the 99 cent ones, were they had the blue LED's instead of the white.

I wouldn't getting one of these http://www.spacesaver.com/product.asp?prod_id=32&img=0, but I'd need more guns first.

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

A blank would indicate you felt lethal force was not immediately required. i would be very concerned any shots fired after that would be found not justified.

i store loaded chamber, but you should plan ahead. Don't do it one way now just cos junior is still too young. You want to program yourself. i put the G23 under my mattress when i go to bed, and in a lockbox under the bed when i go out. ITI M3 on the dresser and keys to the long gun safe are clipped to the lanyard hole on the G23.

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i really haven't had good luck with mine. It keeps losing the programming and the maker doesn't know why. i just leave the key it in when i'm around the house.

16. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

Beat me to it. If it comes to the point of firing at an intruder, you need to clearly demonstrate your life was in danger. Having the time to "play" with shooting blanks off, or as another example shooting someone in the knee as a warning, indicates that you didn't feel so threatened that you needed to use the appropriate force necessary to STOP the intruder immediately.

17. rph74

rph74 New Member

I keep mine right next to me on the floor, underneath the endtable next to bed. I'm planning on getting a nightstand, or a gun safe to keep the gun away from my little guy when he gets older.

How fast can you get to your gun when it's in a safe? I want my 9mm to be easy to get to, if I ever need it in the middle of the night.

18. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

That's what my main concern is. I want to be able to have quick and easy access to it, if I need it.

19. PonySpanker

PonySpanker New Member

It probably takes me about 2-3 seconds to trip the lock on my safe. The door is spring loaded and pops all the way open and stays open (it is hinged at the bottom and flips down). Reach in and grab gun. I sleep very lightly so I'd hear anyone coming in the house. They wouldn't get a chance to sneak up on me so I wouldn't need to be any faster than than.

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

when around the house, i keep my AR with me, chamber empty. if i carried, i'd just keep that on me until i went to sleep, because it's easier. when i sleep, my AR is next to my head, leaning against my bed. when i'm not home, it either stays there against my bed or just inside my closet.

as far as safes go, do you have any other firearms? if so, and you just want something safe to keep them in while you're not home, look for a safe or vault that will fit your capacity needs and will protect your shit from fire for a good amount of time. you want to keep in mind that safes and vaults are expensive, and for large ones, pretty expensive to have moved. so, if you plan on continuing to purchase firearms, buy a safe that has the capacity for your future purchases, documents, money, magazines, ammo, or misbehaving children.

my best friend's vault is a liberty safes vault that's about 3 or 4 feet wide, about 6 feet tall, and about 4 feet deep. it weighs probably two or three tons, and gives more security than anyone would need at home (because people breaking in don't usually come prepared to crack safes or cut into them), and gives a pretty good burn time. i forget what his cost back when he bought it, but they've gone down significantly since then. a couple thousand dollars is a normal price for his safe. and he's pretty much way out of room in it now. he has the entire back wall of the top shelf stacked from shelf to ceiling (about 8 inches) from side to side with brand new AR mags, with green followers. it really accentuates the shadows in the back to see that little flash of green poking out of the darkness.

anyways, a safe should be only for keeping your valuables safe from theft by intruders, or from fire. if you don't trust your kids (should you have any of the worrisome age) to stay away from your firearms, you haven't raised them very well. also, leaving firearms out in the open when you're not home isn't good, because if someone breaks in, they've got easy access. that's pretty irresponsible, and gives gun-owners a bad name every time it happens.

21. attomica

attomica Active Member

I have a Ruger GP100 .357 with a six-inch barrel in my bedstand. I wanted something better than it just sitting on the bottom of the drawer so I made a holster for it. It's a board with two dowels anchored and spaced to support it at my desired angle and position. Then, I created a spring-loaded arm that secures the gun in its position, but allows easy removal. I used a hinge designed for swinging screen doors. Then, I got some scrap leather and contact cemented it to the areas the gun would contact the wood for protection of the gun's finish.

This set-up works beautifully. I can operate and use the drawer as usual without the gun's presence getting in the way and I can have the gun on point in about two seconds and my wife is as proficient in the gun's use as I am, so if I'm not around there's still gonna be some lead in the air. We don't have any kids, so we don't lock it up unless we're gonna be out for a while and employ a firesafe when we do. I've got it loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs being that I'm in an apartment and don't want to carry my conflict into the next unit.

Not your average bedstand...
    [​IMG]

A view from the top...
    [​IMG]

Proximity and access are great...
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the construction...
    [​IMG]

A close-up of the spring-loaded arm...
    [​IMG]

22. itchiban

itchiban Guest

VERY cool man. That is a nice setup you have there, save's alot of time fumbling for your gun in an emergency. :cool: :bigthumb:

23. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

That's similar to what I was thinking about doing. I don't have a nightstand, I have a little three-legged table instead. I was thinking about trying to rig something up using that. I don't really know how I would do it quite yet though. Plus it has a little table cloth that reaches to the ground and that could really slow me down if I needed to get it.