A&P Where do you draw the line on post-processing?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by delslow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

I've been thinking about how far is too far in post-processing. With photoshop we can turn a terrible landscape into a beautiful sunset, turn an unattractive model into a perfect 10, or remove unwanted distractions. It may have been possible with film but digital makes it a million times easier.

I'm interested in hearing others opinions on where we draw the line, or if we draw one at all. At what point does a photo become a false reality? Is it okay to create a false reality? Should we set limits on what we change, or allow a free for all on images?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I think it really depends on your targets for the picture. Advertising and a lot of other industries will require perfect or even surreal photos. If you are taking a snapshot for the family album -not so much.

As long as it doesnt take away from the good aspects of the photo and isnt excessive for the intended usage -sure.(unbelieveable or easy to distinguish changes, or detrimental to image quality)

3. mojito

mojito New Member

i don't know where the line is, I tend not to want to spend that long on a photo so I'd just assume reshoot or give up rather than waste a day on it.

I do know that way too many people use PS as a crutch, choosing to make things right behind the lens rather than in front, which isn't as fun, takes more time and cuts into profit

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

5. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

There isn't a line to be drawn, but thanks to a lot of primadonna wankers on the internet some people think that there is. Unless you are shooting for journalism and news reporting, do whatever you want to. A bad photo is always going to be a bad photo regardless of how much lens flare you add in photoshop.

:rolleyes:

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:werd:

7. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Photoshop is man's way of playing God. :wiggle: