where do I start? re: RedHat 8.0 & mail

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by asTTro boy, Jan 14, 2004.

1. asTTro boy

asTTro boy Guest

Hi everyone, I'm a noob to linux, and I have a situation that I'm trying to figure out, but I'm not even sure what I need to know

situation: I inherited a co-worker's Red Hat 8.0 computer - basically the way it is configured, it's labeled as "localhost.localdomain" - I created a few accounts. (he didn't know much about linux when he loaded it onto the computer)

all I want to do is be able to send mail from this machine externally. right now, using the "mail" command I can send mail internal to my intranet (i.e. to my Windows machine).

I recieve all that email as "[email protected]" - and I can't reply back. Nor can I send mail from the RH account externally - i.e. to a hotmail account.

Since this isn't a "standard" build, my company's support is hands off.

Not sure what I even need to fix this - such as account information or software programs.

I know my domain, and I tried to edit the /etc/mail/local-host-names file, as well as the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and using m4 to push it back onto sendmail.cf.

no luck - still can't edit that name to reflect the domain, and for that matter, not even sure how to rename the machine to not be localhost.

any direction would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun. Moderator

Jun 30, 2003