SRS Where do I go in life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HailStorm, Jul 19, 2006.

1. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

I'm going to be a sophmore in college this fall. Major--Electrical Engineering. I have no desire to do EE for the rest of my life, or even for the next few years. My future career is state trooper. Some places hire young enough that I could say "screw college" (either now, or after this next year) and go do what I hope I'll love.
    I'm unmotivated in school. I'm getting this degree just to get a degree. I'm taking the classes just to pass. I want the piece of paper--that's it. There is no other major (that I know of right now) that is the least bit interesting to me.
    College, or career?
    Thanks!
    ~Ted

2. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Both. Get the degree just in case becoming a state trooper doesn't work out for you.

You will go so much farter in life with that piece of paper that has your name and B.SC (or whatever your degree will be) behind it.

Take it from the older and wiser OTers in here ;)

3. percent

percent deluded

You can't find anything at college that interests you? Maybe switching to a major like criminal justice would help you more in your future career.

If i just wanted any degree, I would pick soething easier than EE. My brother has an EE degree. It's usually considered pretty difficult (but you usually make pretty good money afterwards).

4. HailStorm

HailStorm OT Supporter

I decided a long while ago that Criminal Justice would never be a major of mine. Too many friends of mine got the degree, hoping for that cop job (MN is very competitive), and now they're still looking--three years later. I don't know what else would be out there...I still don't know why I picked EE. I have no desire to work in it. Maybe math...no real desire to do psychology or sociology...or maybe I'll just suck it up and get the EE degree.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Funny thing about degrees...when you have one, people automatically assume that you enjoy doing that kind of work. I have a BS in accounting but I dislike the work. However, I keep running into people that want me to do that sort of work. It's like once they find out that I have this degree, they say OOOHHHH I've got just the job for you. LOL....NOOOOOOOO!!!

Chances are if you picked EE you like the "idea" of being called an engineer. Perhaps it's because others have told you that it's a respectable degree. Perhaps it's parental influence (you "should" be a doc, lawyer or engineer). Or maybe you are just like me, parents steered me towards accounting and I didn't have any clue what I wanted to do so why not??? I would have changed majors but everything and I do mean everything was unappealing to me.....primarily because at the time accountants made the most money. Crazy huh?? I got a degree because of money.

I can assure you....when you are working in a job you dislike, no amount of money can fix it and it will cause other problems in your life. I could force myself to do the work but not forever and my work from day to day suffered because I wasn't passionate about it.

You want to be a trooper but don't want to do CJ degree. That doesn't make any sense to me but w/e. Perhaps Forensic Science would be more appealing to you. I dunno....but getting a EE is one of the most challenging degrees to get.