GUN Where do I go if I want to have an old shotgun restored?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BimmerJustin, Aug 7, 2008.

1. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

My father has as old double barrel, rabbit ear 12-gauge shotgun. I've had my eye on it since i was 15. It is, however, in rough shape. The wood stock needs to be refinished and the barrels have faded with minor oxidation.

My question: how do i go about finding a person or business that can bring this thing back to life?

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Probably worth more if you leave it alone.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

For starters look in the phonebook under Gunsmith... although they may ban that category in NY.

If you just want a "spruce up" done, having the stock stripped and refinished and having the barrel(s) reblued that is something most gunsmiths should be able to handle.

If its an heirloom quality gun and you want to have a period-specific restoration done then you'll have to be a lot more selective and do some research on the web for smiths that specialize in that particular type of gun.

4. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

I am not familiar with "rabbit ear," I am assuming this is a hammer gun? First you need to determine what brand and model it is as well as your ultimate goal - a wall hanger, shooter, etc. Then determine if it is safe to shoot - have a gunsmith check function, safety(s), also barrel as Damascus barrels are considered unsafe to shoot.

If it's an heirloom I would probably try a little lemon oil to take the grime off the stock, clean the barrels, oil them, maybe try to buff light surface rust with 0000 steel wool and oil and then go from there and see what you want.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Why do you want to refinish it? Are you going to use it?

I have a very old Remington No. 4 in .32 rimfire that I got from my dad. He got it from his uncle. I oiled the stock, soaked it in Rem oil and went over everything with fine steel wool, cleaned it, re-oiled it, and now it sits on the wall.

IMO old guns can look silly "redone."

[​IMG]

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'd first be finding out what kind of gun it was.

While most old guns are nothing more than old iron, some are obviously worth some money. Depending on what it is, I would figure out what I wanted to do with it and go from there.

As someone stated above, many old shotguns aren't safe to shoot with modern ammo. If it's just a old warhorse with sentimental memory, I'd just look into cleaning it and hanging it on the mantel as a reminder of times/people since lost.

Have any pics of the gun?

7. BimmerJustin

No pics right now, its at my parents house, next time I'm there I'll snap a few.

Honestly, I wouldnt be too disappointed if I was not able to shoot it and it just ended up hanging on my wall. Its more sentimental thing for me.

Found this pic on google, looks virtually exactly like this.

[​IMG]

8. BimmerJustin

oh and my dad always called it a rabbit-ear, guess thats not the technical term.

9. BimmerJustin

10. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

That looks like a Parker to me. It should say "PARKER BROS." on the side. If it is, visit http://www.parkergun.org/ and learn about the manufacture year, grade, frame size, etc. I have a Parker too. You should be able to tell what the barrels are if it is a Parker, it should be written on the top rib.

Added: If it's not a Parker, tell us what is written on top of the barrel or along the side/bottom of the receiver.