SRS Where did my strive for life go?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by redna, Nov 4, 2005.

1. redna

redna New Member

Fuck, it seems like i have been so unmotivated lately... I'm not talking about killing myself, but about being motivated to do more than just sit around all day.

My day goes something like this:

1 Wake up at about 12:30pm
    2 Lay in bed for a while
    3 Go to the computer to check my mail, AZSR, OT, Photo forums, etc.
    4 Go get something to eat
    5 Come back to computer, repeat step 3
    6 go find something to do around the house because step 5 has proven that nothing has changed on the internet in the last hour.
    7 Come back to the computer... repeat step 5 and 6
    8 Eat dinner
    9 watch some TV
    10 start feeling like i wasted my day and that i should do someting with myself
    11 decide that I'll do it tomorrow and go to bed.

I know what you're saying. Get a job. I have a job... i work in an industry where i dont need to be at the office every day so it allows me to do this.. I wont work soemwhere that has hours because i get really stressed and unhappy in life.

I can say right now, that i might be at the happiest point in my life, stress free, enough money to do what i want, but no motivation to do anything.

what the hell is wrong with me? I know that i'm not supposed to be like this, but i dont mind it..

Some background on me.

I'm 23, own 2 companies that pay the bills, tied into the real estate industry pretty good, own my own home, truck, toys, etc. Worked for it all on my own, my mom is poor, i didnt inherit anything, etc. I've had motivation before but its like i beat the game.. i've got everything i want, what do i have to work for now?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Time to read the books ' the power of now ' + ' not tomorrow but now'

Or skip the reading and do stuff today.

You know the whole problem mainly lies in 'doing'

choices create reality.

This means that if you choose to do something else you can add that little extra to your life.

you need to 'jump' out of the cycle.

Go basejumping , or skydiving,volenteering (many people need your help) which makes you feel more usefull then just behind your computer,which you don't have to give up, but maby going to the movies, remember nothing in the universe can make you happy exept love.

3. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Got a wife and kids? Got religion?

4. redna

redna New Member

Interesting take.. I might just do something like that.

To answer the other question. No I dont have a wife or kids, but i have a serious girlfriend. And religion is a weird are for me.. I have my faith, but dont believe in church (long winded discussion that no one will understand I'm sure).

5. GlassUser

This isn't the place for discussing theology, I'm only asking for as far as it might affect what you posted on. You might consider looking into a non-conventional church or church-like group. Often the grounding gives you a better perspective on life.

Do you feel tied to or connected to any real solid social group?

6. redna

redna New Member

Just my friends really. I've been friends with the same guys for about 10 years now. They may as well be my brothers.

My problems with churches lies in the hypocritical nature of people. Every time i have gone to a church, i see gossip, noseyness, and everyone seems to have an attitude like they are better because they go to church. Also, I see tons of hypocrits that are at church because they "have to" be, and preach good things like staying away from drugs and alcohol, but the second they hit that door they change. I know many of the people I'm talking about by seeing them at places outside of church (like house parties completely innebriated).

It doesnt bother me if they do that, hell it's their body. It bothers me that they SAY and PREACH against something that they themselves are doing. And that they are expecting people to live up to expectations that they are unwilling to fulfill themselves.

Thats why i dont like church, I've been to enough of them, from all different kinds of religions, to be able to generalize like that. I realize that ALL arent like that but I'm tired of looking for one that isnt. There is nothing a church can offer me that i dont already have.

I'm spiritually free, and at peace with myself and my beliefs. In some ways, i think I'm better off that most of the people that need church... but i feel the same way about college. Some people need the structure and guidence.. some people dont.

Sorry if i just went on a rampage.. haha.

7. redna

redna New Member

Also, I've taken a few steps on my own to try to get myself organised. Let me run them by you guys and tell me what you think.

I made a few Excel spread sheets that i can carry around with me to keep my thoughts in order and my motivation (what little i have) in the right place. I've got a to-do list structured in an Urgent/Important outline, I've got a weekly schedule setup of things that i should be doing. Not nessicarilly as a set rule, but as a guide. I've got a monthly goals sheet that will be at the front of my binder(that sounds so lame.. like a trapper keeper), and I have a journal to talk myself up every morning.

I figure, I generally journal at night, right about the time that i feel like i wasted my day. When i get it out on paper that i wasted my day, it motivates me to do something. So, if i move my journal time up to the morning I can basically talk myself into doing something productive.

I also figured something out last night. It isnt that I am unhappy with myself truely.. It's that i know i SHOULD be unhappy with myself and I'm confused as to who I'm not. It's that I know i WILL be unhappy with myself at the end of the day when there isnt enough time to get something done. I dont feel sad walking around the house all day, I'm actually in a great mood. Its the regret at bedtime that kills me.

8. redna

redna New Member

Here is the Urgent/Important organization tool i was talking about. I dont know if anyone else might need it so i thought i would upload it.

http://members.cox.net/4rcefedmr2/urgent important.xls

Basically it works like this. You categorize your to-do's into one of the 4 boxes. If the item is urgent(meaning time sensative) and important(meaning important to productivity) then you put it in the first box. If It isn't urgent, but it IS important, put it in the second box on the first row. If it is Urgent, but not important, use the first box, second row (this is called box 3), and if it is neither important or urgent, use box 4 (second row, second box). Items in box 4 should be tossed.... then you do items in boxes 1, 2, and 3 in that order.

The key is being able to distinguish between urgent and not, and important and not... and MAKING yourself make choices as to where to put things.

9. GlassUser

I think you're dead right about churches. Way too many people practice what they preach against. The question is, do you want to get involved and help make it better?

10. teo

teo . => ? => !

I used to feel like that about my days, and that i never had any time for myself. I'd do pretty much exactly what you describe.

To change it, I started by getting up early on every day, not just the days that I had to. (I do it on my vacations too - sleeping in is the exception, not the rule, and I do sleep in on occasion.) With that extra time I would take a walk, take care of things around the house, make any calls I had to make and lo and behold it wasn't even noon yet and I had a clean slate for the rest of the day.

I also got rid of cable since there's nothing I like on TV (or at least nothing that I can't also see on the internet). I've never been one for TV anyway, but if you are you might want to replace some of that time with reading - books, not forums. Read things that interest you (sounds obvious but isn't).

The rest depends on what you want to do with your time. What you're doing now isn't fulfilling or you wouldn't be posting here, so at least you know that much. You could implement new business ideas, or take a course or two at the local college. Find a new hobby and run with it. The possibilities are endless, but probability is up to you. :)

11. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i say turn all of your free time into self improvement.

when i started going to the gym i was more motivated in every aspect of my life.