where can I get the best pricing on MS Windows XP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SnYpR808, Mar 3, 2004.

1. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

I'm a college student and I heard that I can get a significant discount on MS Office XP, but I can't find anywhere online and MS's website was no help. I'm not exactly comfortable running a pirated version of an OS, so I figured I'd buy this one (as opposed to everything else on my computer).

2. MP

MP New Member

go to your college bookstore for your educational discount.

you can get a full version of xp pro for $138 @ www.zipzoomfly.com

3. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

hmmm...that's not a bad idea. thanks.

4. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

ok, I have another problem. I can't decide whether to buy the full version or the upgrade. I'm running Windows ME right now (which i've heard is the worst version ever). Would there be any performance differences between installing the upgrade on the existing Windows ME system vs buying the full version of XP and just reformatting? I intend on building a new computer in about 4 months, so I'm going to have to install an OS on that anyway. Should I just install ME and the XP upgrade on the new computer when I build it or would it be worth it to spend the extra money to buy the full version? The reason I'm somewhat reluctant to buy the full version is that there's really no reason for me to reformat my current computer right now, and the extra cost of course.

5. MP

MP New Member

full

6. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

care to elaborate?

7. M4A1

M4A1 :)

Just buy the full. It can't be much more then the upgrade. I got mine from an FTP Store. I went from ME to XP on a 1.4ghz P4 system and the difference in speed was amazing. ME is such a pile of shit.

8. MP

MP New Member

just get the full version. Trust me. If you get the upgrade everytime you do a new install you'll have to install (shudders) ME then the upgrade. ME is a pile in itself and just doing an upgrade isn't the best choice in your situation.

full version = $138 = no more worries and you'll be done

9. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

Yeah, I've found that the upgrade version isn't necessarily all that much cheaper than the full OEM version. The $138 price can be had *without* an educational discount, so you might want to hunt around for a better deal *with* the discount.

On an only tangentially related note, oddly enough, I bought two copies of Windows XP OEM, with one copy doing nothing (came with Virtual PC for my ibook). When I built a computer to install it, I couldn't find it anywhere -- my home office is a mess. :p I ended up buying a *third* copy of XP...which makes me feel a little dirty.

10. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

I don't think it's possible to find a better deal than $138 for the full version. Even the upgrade with the student discount was about $100 at the cheapest places. I think i'd rather just pay the extra $38 and get the full thing. I think i'm gonna pick up a new burner while I'm at it. $35 for a Sony 52x32x52 sounds pretty cheap. Plus everything is shipped free.

11. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Since when is MS Office XP an OS???
    ZipZoomFly.com has Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003 Single OEM for $168.00... Office XP Academic can be found at many places right around the same price. Or better yet Newegg.com has Microsoft Office Professional 2003 (Academic Version) for $162.00

Newegg.com has Microsoft Windows XP Pro Upgrade Version - Academic for $82.00... $56 less than ZipZoomFly.com has the full version - and of you have a original Windows ME disk you CAN DO A FULL INSTALL of XP after wiping ME off the drive from the upgrade disk. Format the drive, start the install of XP and if it asks for a previous copy of windows just put the WinME disk in the drive, it will detect it and you go on. If your looking for Windows XP save some money, get a FULL clean install of XP legally.

Since your a college student then check with your school they usually have a discount rate. (Local Community college sells WinXP Pro to students/employees for as little as $17 if your the lucky one to have good timing.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  12. ImperfectVisi0ns

ImperfectVisi0ns New Member

me is the most unstable operating system created by microsoft...full version is a clean install and the upgrade is just like a new look. there is no point to the upgrade. if you are buying an operating system then i would suggest to either wait for longhorn, or just get 2000 pro, its cheaper and better security and its just overal better.

13. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

It is possible to install an upgrade without having an OS on the system previously, you just need to put in your Me cd when installing xp so it can verify that you do own a previous OS.

14. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

my bad, I didn't catch that, I meant windows XP.

15. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

With the Upgrade version, you can do the exact same install as the full version. you just have to have windows already installed or have the full version ME CD.

16. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I agree that ME is the worst OS, but how is 2000 pro is more secure than XP? And cheaper? I would only suggest buying 2000Pro if you have a really slow machine and want to stretch every last minute of life from it...

Just format the drive and install XP from the Upgrade disk just as you would off the Full version. IF ASKED remove the XP Upgrade CD disk and insert the ME/9x CD into the drive and let XP detect the CD and once its done reinstall the XP disk and go on. (So like I said above save yourself the $50 and get the disk labeled upgrade)

17. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

got mines at the college i used to go to for $4. yup $4.

18. BUGold04

BUGold04 "It was Zeigler..."

Got XP Pro at my college for $10.

19. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

All I got to say in this thread is that you got a damn cool avatar. :cool:

20. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well I got mine for nothing (except a blank CD-R)

In my university the student in compsci dept get few MS titles free of charge, including Visio, Project, Visual Studio, WinXP all full version, for free...

oh... fresh doesn't get those of course...

21. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

at my school, you get a free copy of XP Pro if you're in either the Comp Sci faculty or Engineering...