Where can I get a project c3?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Biomechanoid, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm looking to start a project "restoration" c3.

all's that I NEED is a solid frame; everything else is optional: enigine, tranny, axles, interior, paint, wheels, etc. don't neccisarrily have to be there.

I've been to all 6 local junkyards, and the best candidate from those was a '72, but it was the victim of a t-bone, and would require major repairs to the frame. I've been to 3 swaps, asking around, but so far the best I found was a '75 that only really needed a new tranny and a major tune-up; not the "fun" kind of bottom up restoration I'm looking for. and the auto trader magazines don't have ANY project cars.

any takers? I'm in Tampa fl, and would be willing to drive about 100 miles if I can find an excellent candidate.

if anyone's wondering about my goals:

I want to do a complete "ressurrection" of a c3:
    1) bring the body back to new or showroom condition
    2) install/repair a Decent powerplant (I have acess to a 350 out of a 93 trans am and another 350 out of a 89 'vette, but I'm crossing my fingers on finding a great deal on a 427 :x: )
    3) restore/rebuild a leather interior (my neighbor said that he'd help me out with all the interior work; he restores classic cars for private parties)

basically take a non-runnig POS and turn it into something that OT wouldn't be ashamed of being seen driving. :bigthumb:

2. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

GL on finding a project car; I've been looking for a while now with no real luck.

GM Parts Direct has direct fit engines of various sizes; you may want to think about a new engine vs. a rebuilt one. There's an HP502 500HP 510 ft/lb for around $8k.

3. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

you can always get a 454 and a 396 crank and make yourself a 427 and ive got access to a 1971-76, not real sure of year, its red in pretty good shape, int is decent in it, blown 350. He wanted 4,000 for it, but its in the middle of iowa. But my dad owns a shipping company if youd pay a few hundred delivered to tampa. Id probabyl be able to get pics of it.

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I'm going out on a limb here, but why not try to source a ZR1 engine or even a Northstar? hey, they are different so you wouldn't have what everyone else has.

5. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm looking into that 454 option now that you've mentioned it. that red c3 sounds nice but due to past issues with aquiring a vehicle without me being in person (my former baha bug, and my current project rail bug), I'd feel so much more comfortable being able to see the vehicle I'm acquiring in person before actually purchasing it. (the baha bug had holes rusted near the engine mounts, and had a been using beer can for a air filter for about 5 years :wtf: )

6. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

72 and 73 are the best years IMO ,

try hemmings motor news, you can get one at a good bookstore or newsstand, its a big green paperback book that should be by the magazines,

500+ pages of classifieds for cars every month