GUN Where are suppressors legal?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rache, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Rache

Rache Guest

I live in the people's republic of California, so obviously I've never used one. Saw one once in Nevada, I think...I'm curious about where one can actually legally own one in the states.

2. Klepto

Klepto Guest

Uh, I think you need permission in all states. atleast until the Assault weapon ban ends.

3. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

According to Advanced Armament (company that makes suppressors), you can own one as a private citizen in the following states:
    AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD,MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA,WV, WI, WY

To my knowledge, that's an accurate llist.

They are regulated by NFA 1934, not a thing to do with the 1994 Assault Weapons ban, so they'll still be rare when that expires next year.

By federal law, you need to apply for a tax stamp to own the suppressor. Your chief of police or other head of law enforcement has to sign the application, which you then send into the BATF with the $200 fee and wait. After 2-5 monthes, you generally get it back approved as long as you have a clean criminal record.

If allowed in your state, there might be various state requirements to meet as well.

5. kellyclan

You may find those mentioned sections exempt persons with a tax stamp, i don't know. AFAIK, they could be obtained in NV. i know of a few folks there with them. Silencer and suppressor are usually used interchangably, but the correct term is suppressor.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

a suppressor also functions as a flash-hider, so the AWB does regulate them. you can't mount one on a post-ban firearm.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Are you sure about that? Ever fired one? (I haven't)

But I'm pretty sure they don't redirect the flash in any direction other than forward, making it useless as a flash suppressor.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yes, i've fired one. my best friend owns an M4-2000 from advanced armament. suppressors work by using baffle stacks to slow down the expanding gas, thereby quieting the muzzle blast. the sonic crack of the round still happens, but most of the time, the shot sounds like a smaller caliber, or not even like a firearm at all. if there were a muzzle flash, that would imply a leak where gases could escape before slowing down, rendering the suppressor useless.

some suppressors, like integral suppressors, are ported, and allow gas to escape the suppressor in different ways after it has slowed down. they are usually quieter, but by allowing the gas to escape through porting, you take away part of the energy that would normally propel the bullet. this makes the bullet slower and less effective. in a normal suppressor, the gases slow down, but still escape behind the bullet. in fact, the pressures inside the firearm are higher than normal. this can force debris and general crap like powder residue into places inside your firearm where such gunk would not normally reach. suppressors make your guns much dirtier, much faster. they also make the cyclic rate go up on autoloading firearms. this isn't a big deal for semi-autos, since you're generally not going to pull the trigger as fast as the cyclic rate would allow, but with select-fire stuff, it makes a huge difference.

my friend's M16 with the suppressor on it is much easier to control because: 1. the felt recoil is much less. this is in part because of the extra pound it adds to the end of the barrel, and because of the action of the suppressor. 2. the cyclic rate is higher, allowing you to make two round bursts that spread only half as much, or less,than an unsuppressed burst. we've also done "night firing" in the range with and without his suppressor when we were testing out his surefire and tape switch. there is no muzzle flash with the suppressor.

9. kellyclan

Any suppressor i've seen totally eliminates the flash, yes. And funky is right about them being regulated as flash suppressors, but the AWB 1994 doesn't specifically address sound suppressors, they only fall under the 1994 ban because the ATF has ruled they function as an item banned under that law as a feature on new production weapons. The actual federal law restricting and controlling sound suppressors is the National Firearms Act of 1934.

10. Furner

Furner New Member

my heart has just been crushed. i was under the assumption that Michigan allowed suppressors and full-auto with tax stamp. :wtc:

11. Pimp Cat

Pimp Cat Guest

cant wait to get mine :big grin:

12. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

Hell, ill feel lucky just to be able to purchase an ar or ak in the republic.

13. Rache

Rache Guest

Thanks for all your responses!!!