Where are outlook email stored on HD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jjsteine, Oct 11, 2004.

1. jjsteine

jjsteine Guest

Ok, I am trying to reformat my PC at work. I need to back up all my email from outlook.

I have looked every where, cant find the specific folder that contains all of emails. We download our mail from a server that is not ours, when pulled off of the server it is deleted from the server so i know it has to be stored somewhere on the hard drive...

SO, does anybody know where this mystical folder is so i can back up my damn emails?

Any help would greatly be apprciated..

thanks

2. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

c:\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\identities

Just backup that directory and when you reinstall, you can import from there.

3. jjsteine

jjsteine Guest

Man that was fast, thanks! i did that but its pulling outlook express, and only showing about 20 emails, i have about 2000? Does outlook, and outlook express save in diffrent folders?

Or are some condensed into single files so it would only show 20 somthing? Because it is saying that all the data in that folder is 335mb...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2004
  4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Oh. :uh: I thought it was outlook express you were asking about.

Sorry. It's been a while since I"ve used outlook, so I can't answer you.

5. skooter

skooter Guest

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

that is where mine is at, or else you can just goto File>Import and Export, you can export it to a .pst and it should be the same thing, i am pretty sure you can import either.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Just look for the largest .pst file you have on your HD - that's it.

7. jjsteine

jjsteine Guest

Ok thanks for all the help guys, its truly appriciated.

One last question, so i have all these files on a CD. But after reformating and loading office 2000 back on my PC the directory is no longer there for outlook (the one where i pulled the files from) So how do I import the Files back into my outlook?

Also, i tried the import export to import the files, and it says that i am not the admin to the PC and do not have rights to import these files...

8. glmwpg

glmwpg Guest

I always do the Click inbox -> File menu -> import & export -> Export to a file -> PErsonal folders (PST), then export that to your backup folder/drive, etc.

reformat, install office, then open outlook and File menu -> import & export -> Import Personal Folders, browse to the file.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I just install Office again, and when it asks to create a personal folder, I point to where it's currently stored. Never really understood why they have an export import option.