Where are my GBs?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

UPDATE: My problem has been solved...

I have a 100GB HDD in my new laptop. I only have 86GB useable, partly because of a recovery partition that i'm not worried about.

Of the 86 usable GB somehow there is 62GB used up, and 24GB free. My problem is that i can't figure out what the hell is filling up my HDD this much. Its a brand new laptop, i havent had time to accumulate that much shit on here... and i have a NAS externally for storage, so i don't store anything on the local HDD.
    [​IMG]

I made a quick and dirty little list in excel of the sizes of the folders in my C:
    [​IMG]

That only accounts for about 20GB out of the 62 Used GB. What the hell is using the other 40GB?!?

Can anyone offer any suggestions and/or way to find out where this other 40GB is going?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

that's pretty absurd, what i always do is a dead simple search for files above 1mb and then files that are big pop up, something huge may or may not be there, maby worth a shot.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Look at your capacity in bytes. That's how HDs are measured.

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Do you have any programs that create large log files? I had a program that I didn't realize did this and when i deleted the log I freed up over 4gb's of space. I have since then configured the program to delete the log past 7 days instead of keeping it indefinitely.

5. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Nohting out of the ordinary as far as large files. Not that a regular search seems to be able to find.

None that i am aware of.

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I ran Disk Cleanup, and there wasnt any large amt of space taken up by anything. I removed Hibernation crap (i don't use it anyways, so i don't know why there's any hibernation data to begin with). As well as clearing out my Temp folder. All that only gained me about 4GB. There's still around 20-40GB that i can't account for.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You're probably not looking at system or hidden files.

But if I'm betting, there's probablt a Backup and Recovery program doing backups for you that you're not aware of (oh and Shadow Copies too!)

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Take a look in disk management. Are there any other recovery or hidden partitions?

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

System Restore and Shadow Copies. Windows Vista doesn't put a cap on those like Windows XP did.

10. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I have it set to show hidden and sys files... tho i know its not showing all of them cuz i can't see pagefile.sys... which i know is massive.

Did that, there's 1 6GB partition... my guess is Lenovo's recovery partition. I took that into account when coming doing my math on what I think is used vs what Vista is reporting.

How would i go about checking ShodowCopy files/backups and their sizes? I dont really feel the need for ShadowCopy right now, so i'd be fine turning it off even.

11. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Oh, and i tried a few third party, visual disk management progs to help track down large files. Other than my 3GB pagefile, there don't seem to be any single large files out there.

Also, the 3rd party progs all seem to think i'm only using 26GB of space... not the 62GB that Vista is saying. This leads me to beleive Vista is either wacked out, or hiding things from both me, and the 3rd party apps.

Edit: I finally found how to disable Restore, and therefore ShadowCopy... which gained me back 8GB. A help, but things still aren't in line with what i feel they should be..

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Yes they are.

13. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I just wanted to bring this thread back because i found out what was causing massive HDD usage.

Apparently Lenovo sticks their own Rescue & Recovery utility in with their ThinkVantage software... on TOP of Vista's System Restore. There were 42GB locked up in a protected folder bcause of it. I disabled ThinkVantage's R&R, deleted the backups, and i am now back to normal.

I just wanted to let anyone know who might be having this problem, or might have it in the future. Backups are good... but not when it takes up all of your HDD space.

14. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

And they don't do a damn bit of good if your hard drive crashes...since the backup is ON the hard drive.

15. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

http://windirstat.info/

It's a great free program to show where all your space is being used, it will show a folder by folder view, you can also sort it by file type, as well as show you files by ascending or descending size and show you which directory they're stored in.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

empty recycle bin

check hidden folders

17. deusexaethera

1. You sure as hell don't need a 3GB pagefile. Lock it down to 1GB min and max, and never touch it again.

2. The third party programs say you're only using 26GB of space because that's the space taken up by permanent files. The remaining space will be freed up on an as-needed basis by Windows, because Windows is using it to cover your ass for you by storing 11ty billion backup copies of everything you've ever touched.

3. Odd that Lenovo included their own backup utility. It was good to get rid of that, but turn System Restore back on. You may only use it a couple of times over the computer's lifetime, but it will totally save your ass those couple of times.

18. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Yea, thats one of the apps i found and used.

19. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

In doing all of this weird shit, i did change my pagefile down to 1GB. It was automatically set to 3GB since i have 3GB of physical RAM.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR PAGE FILE

21. deusexaethera

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST YOUR TELEVISION. WE CONTROL THE HORIZONTAL, AND THE VERTICAL.

22. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Why? Do i really need a 4GB page file when i already have 3GB of RAM? Even with a virtual PC running, i've only seen it max out at 1.5GB used.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

let windows manage your page file. The guys with phds that wrote that memory management library know way more about it than you and i.

24. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So... basically exactly what I posted a week ago? Got it.

As an aside, I don't know why Lenovo does that - backing up to the same physical HD is pretty stupid.

25. deusexaethera

As much as I want to disagree with you, it is a good point.

That said, it's also coming from someone who's made it clear that they want to be in control of every aspect of their machine's operation, and therefore is something of a hypocrisy.