When will next-gen start?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by infamous8, Aug 10, 2009.

1. infamous8

infamous8 Guest

360 came out in 2005
    Wii came out in 2006
    Ps3 came out in 2006 (2007 in Europe)

The President of Epic Games (Gears of War dev) went on record to say that NATAL would prolong the 360's lifecycle... and we all know Sony is in it for the long haul with the Ps3

When will next gen start? My guess is 2013. New Xbox comes out, or some sort of upgraded Wii.

2. juvental604

juvental604 I like to pee upside down OT Supporter

2012 november if they can make a machine that has significantly better graphics

although the world is supposed to end in 2012 so who knows for sure

I think microsoft will be ready to come out of the closet first again since it worked so well for them last time. and by so well I mean stealing significant market share from sony ( not rroding and losing billions which they are used to )

3. HotSauce0034

HotSauce0034 Cowboys Crew : Xbox Live GT & PSN GT = Levati

It's already started, it's called digital distribution. There will most likely not be a new console until massive improvements (visuals and sound) are made.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I think Nintendo will come out with a new machine first, one which will probably be on par, power-wise, with the 360 & PS3. I think the 360 and PS3 will be around for a while though... well, I'm hoping so anyway.

Considering most games still aren't pushing either systems to their max, why would there be a need for more powerful hardware? Only Nintendo needs to upgrade in order to keep up, I can see the 360/PS3 being around for a good few more years... I'm hoping so, anyway. :x:

5. juvental604

games werent pushing the ps2 to their max until its final years when the 360 was already out. Same can happen again.

Sony is still making money on the ps2 while supporting the ps3. Same thing is going to happen again.

Im fairly certain for 2012 with 2013 at the latest.

2012 gives 3 years for graphics cards to improve. Not only that but usually when new consoles come out they are better than anything on the pc.

6. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

:werd:this will probably happen

nintendo is going to have to make a new system in a few years just to keep up with the ps3 and xbox. its going to be interesting to see how nintendo starts releasing their systems because its going to start being outta synch with the other two. if the 360 and ps3 last ten years, and nintendo has to release a system to keep up with them (which probably won't be for another two years atleast), there's no way nintendo is going to release a system for 3 years then put a new one out for the next gen.

nintendo's next system is going to have to be balls to the wall if they want to stay in the game. i dont think being on a staggered release schedule like that will be good.

7. juvental604

I think you are wrong about nintendo because they are focusing on a completely different market, they dont need the upgraded graphics, but better interface and different ways to play. As long as the wii is selling like hotcakes to this new untapped market they will focus on it.

People with a 360/ps3 arent going to by a wii that has the same graphics as the systems they already have, they are more likely to buy project natal or whatever.

I have a feeling nintendo will wait a little longer and skip ps3/360 level of graphics to try to have a machine that is slightly less powerful than the xbox 720. This will make sure the wii2 gets better 3rd party support while nintendo can then capture both markets with some new crazy way to play games.

If nintendo waits a year after microsoft, doesnt invent something like bluray, and avoids overpriced processors like cell, they can probably release their system at a $300 - $350 price point.

whatever does happen next gen its going to be mucher tougher competition for nintendo unless they can reinvent the wheel again, because sony and microsoft are catching on.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  8. FunkyMunniez

See the thing is though, the casual market might not be inclined to upgrade to a new system as long as their wii works fine. while this means taht ninetendo can just sell wii's as is and support it blah blah blah, even casuals are going to catch on that they don't need another wii sports resort or carnival game compilation.

My prediction: Nintendo will be first outta the gate (and by atleast a year or two) for obvious reasons...they need to upgrade to HD just to stay in the console race in general. However, they're going to need to draw in the hardcore market until theyre sure the casual market will be here to stay. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to bet all my chips on a phenomenon that might disappear in a few years when the trend dies out.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic if Nintendo breaks away from the traditional upgrading of next gen systems. The wii's lack of horsepower is going to force an upgrade sooner rather than later, and nintendo can either try to stay with the perfect generation upgrades, or upgrade its own generation when it wants.

9. juvental604

I just dont see nintendo coming out with a machine thats only slightly better than the 360/ps3 to capture the hardcore market. They already tried that with the gamecube and failed miserably.( well they still profited but you know what I mean)

If they decide to have powerful next gen machine I dont see them going first either because it will be very expensive and thats usually not their strategy to lose money on the console.

10. Dargone

Dargone Noob

I was thinking in only a couple of years? 2011? Although you guys make a lot of sense, it will probably be much later. Which is a good thing for those of us in school...

11. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

All I know is that they need to bring up a version of VR for some of these games, especially for these FPS's. I would absolutly love to have a VR mask/helmet for playing Halo.

Otherwise, I want to see the next gen with graphics more real that I'll actually shit myself, instead of just saying "I shit myself"

12. FunkyMunniez

If nintendo make a machine slightly more powerful than the 360/ps3, they'll have that on the market for a year or two, maybe even three, before the ps4/720 launch. since HD-DVD seems to be out, the system will most likely be blu-ray. Having the most powerful system on the market with motion+ controls is going to create some awesome gaming experiences.

the HD capability and larger disc space will allow for better gaming quality and will most likely draw back types of games that have been absent on the system, and create better core game experiences that will draw the hardcore market in. gamers would flock to stores to experience nintendo franchises on a more powerful system. Zelda HD? I'm in.

Third party support for core games would shoot up because lets face it, a lot of the better games these days are becoming huge endeavors and with the multiplatform releases becoming prominent, I'm sure all developers would start throwing their games Nintendo's way to start making more cash. That alone would establish Nintendo's hardcore market, and then Nintendo can go off on their campaign for the casuals.

All Nintendo would need to do is make their next system just that much better than whats out now and release it early with their big franchises like mario, kid icarus, metroid and zelda and people will buy it.

Fuck what I said earlier this just sounds like brilliance for nintendo. God knows that they bankrolled this generation. In two years or so, development costs for systems will be down and I bet Nintendo will still make a profit. They just need three things:

1. Soild storage solution, whether they increase the size of their flash memory, go with HDD or include a memory card with 20 gigs on it or whatever.

2. Solid online experience without friend codes.

3. Way to achieve downloadable content.

13. juvental604

it wont happen from a software perspective, nintendo is all wii right now. Galaxy 2 and zelda are slated for 2010; these types of games take years just to come out.
    If they do decide to do a slightly better HD system what you will get is upscaled wii games and better 3rd party ports of 360/ps3 games.

But who knows really, I think my tv already does a good enough job upscaling current wii games. should make a poll to see how many people would buy a wiihd with slightly better graphics than a ps3/360 and upscaled wii games.

I think you are thinking too much in the mindset of a nintendo fan and not enough in the mindset of a hardcore 360/ps3 user.

14. FunkyMunniez

:rofl: I didn't mean to say they're going to drop all those major titles right off. And I see the next wii coming out in end of 2011 to mid 2012, giving plenty of time for some Nintendo teams to start development for the next system.

While you have teams working on galaxy 2 and Zelda Wii, Nintendo can easily have Retro studios whip up an HD Metroid, as well as other teams work on HD F-Zero, HD Kid Icarus, HD Donkey Kong (none of that Donkey Konga shit), HD Star Fox, and put out some nice third party titles ranging from Madden to Call of Duty.

Imo, that seems like a pretty solid first year lineup for blockbuster 1st party titles. Then when you include the 3rd party titles that will finally be able to work properly on a Nintendo console (assassin's creed, bioshock, whatever) that's a solid core gamer system. Then nintendo can release their boom blox's and sports resorts for the casuals. The thing would be a really solid system.

It would be interesting to see how many people would buy a nintendo system if it had HD graphics, but I think that many answers would be somewhere along the lines of "I'll wait and see what kind of third party support it gets." :hs:

15. poin

poin OT Supporter

What the hell is this? A legitimate thread by infamous8?

Looks like he got a warning. Should of gotten a straight up ban instead.

16. Los

Los Active Member

my balls itch

17. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

Nintendo really has no need for releasing an updated console for years to come. the people buying their games clearly don't care about graphics. I think they'll have a problem in the future, though, since the generation that rushed to buy the Wii fueled on nostalgia alone was largely disappointed with the purchase. How many consoles will we be willing to buy for another mario game? We'll be older, the original games even further in the past, etc.

360/PS3 - the graphics bump will be nice. I think that Gran Turismo may be a good benchmark - they tend to push a console to it's limits - then the next gen's graphics should be AT LEAST as good as the previous generation's GT. i wait in joyful hope for the rendering of smooth curves in HD. (vs. jagged lines).
    still - i hope they don't rush to bring out new console until the hardware is really there to make the Natal / motion sensor stuff really shine. shiny new graphics will be nice, but new, more immersive gameplay is more important.

This console generation is the bridge; the next will have much broader appeal and better storytelling techniques.

18. A Juggalo

A Juggalo Active Member

new gen starts now........ready. set. GO!!!!!

19. jero

jero Let me just put the tip in...

MS will definitely release first, unless nintendo wants to drop an upgraded wii super soon with backwards compatibility ( which it will have of course )

Sony will lower prices, build the gaming library, and introduce new hardware revisions for some time.