When will 5gz 11n wireless adapters come out and some questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moloch, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Moloch

Moloch New Member

My roomate/friend has an apple 11N airport and it kinda sucks how since theres no 5ghz wireless adapters we have to run it at 2.4ghz and apple doesnt support dual band wireless(bla bla bluetooth interference). It's just a bit faster than a 11G network, I typically can get about 40mb/s on a good day, is that typical single band 2.4ghz speeds? I had to manually configure the routers channals to get that speed too.
    I use the d-link 556 pci-express 11n draft adapter btw.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Q4 2008 or Q1 2009

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

802.11a runs at 5GHz, and it has the same speed as 802.11g. That's still not the same as 802.11n, but by switching to a different frequency range you can get away from interference from cordless phones and other people's networks.

Or, if you'd rather hold out, don't buy anything that says Draft-N or Pre-N on it. The standard isn't really a standard until they all agree on it and someone builds a functional prototype. Until then, there's absolutely no guarantee that any pre-compatible hardware you buy will actually work with the final standard. They've already fucked over people like that once, they can do it again.