When using DDNS...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Create, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

...what is an acceptable lag time between an ip change at the server and a remote client being able to resolve the new ip? I'm averaging over four minutes (12 data points). Also, is there a config change I can make to speed this up?

Will trace, renew sub, and PM if that's what it's going to take.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

really dependant on the clients ISP. ISPs are infamous for having their DNS servers ignore the TTLs set by other providers (in an effort to reduce external queries by their own DNS servers). I would say 5 minutes is not unreasonable. I mean your IP can't change *that* often that 5 mins downtime is gonna kill you, right? What does it change, once every few months?

3. Create

Every 26 hours, plus or minus 10 minutes max.

We've been up for about two weeks. Only the bossman and I have access. In that time it's hit me twice, him once.

This is the first time I've had a dynamic ip from the ISP *and* a remote desktop requirement. I'm just trying to get a feeling for the norms.

So, sounds like we're fairly normal except that our ISP has an odd IP renewal policy. I'm making a call right now.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, sounds like your ISP is being proactive to prevent misuse of it's DSL line. Time to be honest with them and pay the fee for a static IP. What is it? $5mrc? Come on.

5. Create

I'm getting equivalent throughput during the day on DHCP for half what I was paying and my off-hours speeds are nearly double. SBC/AT&T, Indianapolis.

If it was a $5/mo question it'd be a no-brainer. I'm suppossed to be minimizing recurring expenses for this location, though, and this was something I could cut-over early.

We'll have static back up at another loc in a few months. This is currently just an interim solution, but it'd be nice if I could get it a bit more stable. ibtheydidthisonpurposebecauseweareabusiness

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're trying to hack something to breach a companies AUP in order to save a couple bucks. Not cool.

7. Create

blah blah blah interim solution fucktard blah blah blah

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:mb: :mb: :mb: :mb: :mb: :mb: :lockd: :lockd: :lockd: :lockd: :mb: :mb: :mb: :mb: :mb: :mb:

9. Create

:squint:

Ok, spill it: Why'd your attitude take a turn? I've been floating around long enough to notice.