When to start birth control

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by mandarin orange, Jul 14, 2007.

1. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

My gf was on ortho tri-cyclen lo

but anyways.. she went to japan for a month to study abroad and her cycle got messed up and was confused due to the time difference. .so she decided to just stop anyways since she wouldn't be having sex in Japan. but anyways.. she's back now and wants to start taking it again.. if we remember correctly she starts the Sunday after her period right?

Last Sunday/Monday her period started.. today (Friday).. her period is over.. so does that mean Sunday she starts the new back? thanks!

2. lauren

lauren Active Member

open pill package
    read insert
    follow directions

if i recall correctly (keeping in mind its been 5ish years since ive taken bc), sunday start is the sunday on, or immediately after her period. my understanding is even if you start bleeding on a sunday you start the pack then too, not the following sunday. guess this is why they tell you to give it a month before relying on it 100%, hu?

3. Rich

Rich New Member

Another thing to remember is that she has to take it at the same time every day.

4. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

yeah she takes it the same time every day.. we're just curious. since she ended today.. if she should start sunday

we wont be having sex anyways until august cause i'm busy with classes.. but she thinks it's time to start it

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

that info is either in the included literature, or can be obtained through a phone call to her gp.

we cant tell you.

6. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

If she started her period last Sunday, she should have started the pack that same Sunday. Read the prescribing information. It says exactly this.

DO NOT start the pack this Sunday. Wait the month and start it at the correct time.

7. Kelli

Kelli O.O

my doctor told me to start the sunday after her cycle starts. Like if her period starts on a thursday, that sunday she would start the pill. Really, she doesn't have to wait. She could just take them now. It will throw her period off for a couple weeks or so when it's brought on from the pills.

8. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Take this advice at your own risk. When you do not follow prescribing information, this is when people get pregnant against their will. If you could start BC pills any give Sunday, they would be prescribed that way.

Always follow prescribing information when following any medication regime. The most common way women get pregnant while using the Pill is starting late. They say if you start a pack more then 3 days late, to wait til the following month and begin again.

The only pill which can be started at any time is a progestin-only pill.

9. Kelli

Kelli O.O

Doctors do advise you though to start it when you have your period. My RE told me that you can star birth control pills whenever. There aren't any set 'days' to start. Who knows. Do talk to your doctor though. I wish when I started the pills this time if would have gotten me pregnant.

10. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

huh?

11. Kelli

Kelli O.O

Been trying to get pregnant for 3 years, doc told me to start birth control to get my periods regular, blah blah blah. Only took it 2 months and stopped.