When to eat before a workout?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by The Big Eye, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

How long do you guys wait after eating a meal to workout? I'm talking about a weight workout probably lasting an hour long involving any two muscle groups.

Thanks.

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

60-90 minutes. Unless it's leg day, then i like more time between my meal and working out.

3. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

i made the mistake of eating 20 minutes before i left for the gym on heavy lower day. i thought i was going to throw up on the way out, then i had to sit down for 10 minutes because of my lower back, then get to my car. that was some trip

4. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

Thanks guys

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

About 90 min prior for a smaller meal (chicken breast and small serving of pasta or rice). If its a big meal, more like 2-3 hours... I cannot go to the gym on a full stomach or I get indigestion and feel sluggish.

6. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

what about a shake and some triscuits? wait the full 60 minutes?

7. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I keep hearing that pre- and post- workout meals are really important, but what am I suposed to be eating at either time? I've started going to the gym at ~5:45am so I haven't been eating anything pre-workout.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

from an interview with Lyle that came out today

9. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

So should I just eat a chicken breast and rice right before I go to sleep or something? Thats going to be like 6-7 hrs before I work out and not 3-4.

10. sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

a shake an hour before.

11. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

jesus, when did wanting to be in shape become a science? as a pseudo-beginner its VERY hard to keep up with everything and information is always changing.

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I dont follow a routine nearly as strict as Lyle does and it seems to work rather well... Of course I am sure it could be better, but for those of us that have a social life, school, work, etc.. cannot be expected to make an exact science of the thing and have a stop watch going off with our meal plans (however it would be nice if I had that amount of time).

For me, about 90-120 minutes prior to workout I have a small portion of lean protein and some carbs... This meal will usually consist of tuna or chicken for my lean protein and then a decent sized portion of rice or pasta. Then about 15-30min prior to my workout I sip on an easily digestible protein source such as a scoop of whey.

After my workout I usually do cardio, play basketball, and shower... So I in order to get something in my body right away after I finish LIFTING I take a scoop of whey. Then once I get home about an 60 minutes later I eat another lean source of protein but usually more of it (2 chicken breasts) and some vege's with a baked potato or rice.

I generally stick with this.. If I am bulking its the same shit, just in larger portions... If I am cutting, smaller portions and depending where I am in my cut I might knock out some of those post workout carbs like the rice or baked potato and stick with vege's or a salad with my lean protien.

13. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I eat breakfast and then hit the gym when I'm done. By the time I start working out, usually about 30 minutes has elapsed.

14. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

30 minutes for me. Id like more time but I dont want to be getting up before 5am

15. Potato2

Potato2 Money and the power

For me, I eat as early as possible. Most of the time I workout at school, so its a little over 2 hours.

16. Neo95gt

Neo95gt Guest

I get off work and have a medium little meal then workout right after. Theres like a 15min gap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.