GUN When there's no recipe for the bullet type and powder you got

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I have Titegroup and 9mm 115gr FMJ, problem is there is no load data for this combo. What do you do in this case? :noes:

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

If there is load data, you could load for a heavier round. At worst, you are simply going to get more muzzle flash/powder residue on the gun.

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Thanks for the info, I originally had 2 potential loads I can go with:

115gr JHP 1.090" OAL
    Titegroup Min of 4.0 / Max of 4.5

130gr FMJ 1.160" OAL
    Titegroup Min of 3.8 / Max of 4.2

I will try the 130gr receipe, if my quest for receipe doesn't turn up anything.

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Unless I'm a complete moron, the JHP loading should be fine for FMJ as well.

edit: except for maybe the OAL....

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Nonsense. 4.5 grains titegroup, behind a 115, 1.150 oal, moderate crimp makes about 1150 fps out of my G17. Fairly light load makes 132 PF which is what I consider a powder puff load. This would be my suggestion on a starting load.

I like to push my 9mm about 1250+ fps but I much prefer the 124 grain fmj

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

OK I'm going to say something you won't read in the reloading manuals. the OAL is not really that important. The only thing you want to watch for is seating the round too far and compressing the load. Even still in most cases that is not a bad thing. We an shooting compressed loads in 9mm to make major power factor all the time for competition. Lets talk about lenght. The shorter the OAL the more reliable it will feed. If you load the round long right up to the point where it almost meets the lands of the the rifling the more accurate it will be. The more important factor is the ogive or the curve of the bullet. This is what touches the the leads of the rifling. So two bullets of the same weight might have a slightly different shape at the ogive. This is what you want to watch for. As far as a long OAL that is a concern as you don't want to be longer than what can feed in the magazine and chamber (again more the ogive than OAL.

Tite group is a good powder for making light loads because it won't double ignite. This is where say you have a super light load and there is powder by the bullet, then dead space, then powder near the primer. The powder near the primer ignites, the bullet leaves the case, then the powder near the rim of the case ignites. They say this stuff is more dangerous than a double charge. Never seen it myself but 1. it doesn't happen with tite group, 2. I hate powder puff loads.

I have found that light loads while very soft recoiling don't group that well. They also cycle the gun slow which makes you slow. Shooting the light stuff can make you recoil shy. I don't see a lot of upside to the light loads.

If you shoot a heavier load it cycles the gun faster, you shoot faster splits, your eyes get accustomed to tracking the sights in fast recoil. I also finds it groups better and takes steel targets with athority. Again you got to shoot the gun and test for accuracy.

In regards to the load manuals the new load data is very conservative. Their max load is nowhere near the real max load. It's the whole liability thing. Now if you got a old load manual the max load data is THE MAX LOAD DATA. I would not try to push this much because they were not joking back in the day.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Damn I can type a novel about this reloading crap. When using a new bullet using 9mm as an example. I start by loading it long with no powder. Then I chamber it in the gun. If it won't chamber I put the round back in the press and seat it deeper and re-crimp. I keep going until I get to the point it chambers. This is my max OAL with that bullet in that barrel. I write this down. Example G17 124 speer fmj 1.163. I do not load to the maz OAL because you lose some reliability if the gun is dirty. So I go 1.155 to be safe/reliable. I shot groups at 1.155 and 1.160 and saw no decrease in accuracy.

8. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Haha, I can see that you are passionate about this topic yar. :rofl:

Thanks for the info!

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

"Passionate" is very kind. Most people say i'm a fucking nut job.