GUN when the media portrays gun owners as irresponsible

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Oct 24, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

it seems they are really referring to their own behavior

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304636,00.html

Miami TV Reporter Arrested for Entering School Property With Gun
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A television reporter investigating a story on school violence was arrested after carrying a loaded gun onto school property, authorities said.

Jeffrey Weinsier of WPLG-TV, an ABC network, was taken into custody Tuesday at Miami Central High School after ignoring several warnings not to walk on school property, Miami-Dade schools police said.

"Kindly go across the street now," an officer is shown telling Weinsier during the videotaped encounter.

"I'm not," Weinsier replied. The officer then handcuffed him.

Weinsier, 40, was charged with possession of a firearm on school grounds, trespassing on school property with a weapon and resisting officers without violence.

The photographer working with Weinsier, Frank Debesa, said afterward: "Jeff did have a gun on him."

Weinsier began carrying a gun after he received death threats stemming from a series he did about unsanitary conditions at restaurants, according to the station.

"At this point, Channel 10 is still reviewing the circumstances surrounding today's arrest," said Dave Boylan, the station's vice president and general manager.

Weinsier has a concealed weapons permit, but state law prohibits anyone from being armed at schools, police Detective Ed Torrens said.

Weinsier was released from jail on $11,000 bond.

"I've been advised not to say anything," he told Channel 10 afterward. "The videotape speaks for itself. ... I was not trespassing."

A telephone message left on his work voice mail by The Associated Press was not immediately returned.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

While he has every right to carry one, esp after death threats, he was an idiot to attempt to walk on to school property.

3. no7fish

no7fish New Member

So does this mean he was on school property doing essentially nothing wrong, they stop him, then they find he has a gun? Sounds like they are trying to use the gun to warrant the arrest even though it didn't come into play until the arrest was made...?

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I completely agree that he has the right to own a gun and in Florida he has the ability to have a CWP and every right to exercise it. I would do the same thing if I received any death threat, if I wasn't already. He should clearly know the rules though and have not attempted to be on school grounds with it, either leave it in the car or just shoot the piece from across the street with the school in the background.

However if I were to carry a loaded weapon onto school grounds, even if I had received death threats, more than likely the media would not state the reason I had the gun, just something "it is unclear as to why he took a weapon into the school, it is unclear if he intended to cause harm to the children there at this time." They might even call it some evil automatic pistol or a glock revolver.

I'm not sure of the details, but the article makes it sound like he attempted to go onto school grounds and was asked by a uniformed officer to leave school grounds. It sounds like when he failed to comply he was arrested for trespassing. I am not sure if that will hold up, but he was asked by an officer to leave which may count the same as the owner saying leave, so technically trespassing. Then they charge him with resisting arrest without officers w/o violence, which just seems to be a charge they throw in there if you do anything, probably an extra chip for plea bargaining and the like. Then they discovered that he had a weapon. (he denies trespassing, but not the gun)

According to the law carrying a gun on school grounds is in itself a crime and even if we do not like it the officer is completely within his rights and performing his job to arrest an individual breaking the law. It doesn't sound like an excuse to justify the arrest.

I wonder if the reporter had a permit, there is no mention of it in the article.

5. Furner

Furner New Member

6. t1h

t1h Guest

doesn't the federal law say you can't have a gun within 1000 ft of a school?

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:doh: I have no idea how I skipped over that line several times.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I think it says something about "unless you have a permit"

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I tried to look that up and all that I readily came up with was

In general, it shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone. This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds.

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 was enacted as section 1702 of the Crime Control Act of 1990 (Pub.L. 101-647, 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)) on November 29, 1990.

It was subsequently declared to be an unconstitutional exercise of Congressional authority under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution by the United States Supreme Court, and was therefore voided.

maybe there is a new law I skipped over, I just did a quick google search.

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

That's the way I read it as well. Sorry, I know they are within their right to arrest someone for not leaving a school property, it just sounded like in the article they were saying he was arrested for trespassing with a gun, rather than he was arrested for trespassing and was later found to have a gun. It's just as though they are trying to make him sound like another looney with a gun.

11. KNYTE

KNYTE I'm Not Kidding.

Hmmm, I just remembered that I CC'd at a performance of Les Miserable which was technically on a college campus a few weeks ago. It didn't even occur to me at the time not to carry. Oops.

12. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

I don't think there is any federal ban on carrying. I do know that here in WA, you can't carry on school ground but you CAN CC when picking up a student. There is also an exception if you have business at the school, you can leave it locked in the car.

13. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Regardless if you have a concealed permit or not you cannot legally carry a firearm onto school premises.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Depends on the state. You can legally carry in any school you want here in Oregon as long as you have your CHL.