SRS When she doesn't like your family...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Reavercs, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Reavercs

Reavercs New Member

I've been with my gf for 2 years now. We currently live together and it's nothing but a rollercoaster. I can sit here and write for hours about how many arguments we've had over ridiculous things such as jealousy, insecurity, differences. I won't bore you with that, but I find it necessary to mention the bigger problem. It's about our families.

So, with 2 years, you've introduced your SO to your family several times, right? Well, I have but I feel like nobody in my family knows her. At every family get-together, my girlfriend remains arms crossed and silent. She's told me in the past that she sees my family as stuck-up, judgmental and hypocritical. My family is religious (Christian), but not extreme or forceful to others. Without being biased, I think they're great people, and I am not religious at all.

I've contemplated on leaving her just with the family issues alone. We've left multiple family get-togethers simply because she looked bored, upset or had some bullshit excuse to go. BUT WAIT, when it comes to her family, we're always there the whole time and she's a chatterbox.

Is this grounds for a break-up? Am I asking for too much when I expect my SO to be more involved with my family?

2. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

If she can't understand that she needs to 'come around' more with your family then it couldn't be grounds for a break up. I've seen too many families broken up over situations liek this. Family (to me) is more important than some girl you may or may not already be on the rocks with.

3. SuckerPhree

SuckerPhree New Member

Nah, I don't think that's a good reason to end a relationship. Especially if you guys are so committed that you felt it was a good idea to live together.

I'm not an expert, but I imagine there are many couples in the world where the man or woman just don't get along with the future in-laws.

You're not alone.

I think with time, she will grow to respect and appreciate your parents.

4. Reavercs

Reavercs New Member

I probably should have mentioned that during some of our heated arguments, she can't help but insult many members of my family including my immediate relatives such as my mother and brother.

It's made me snap at one point, but alas I am still here.

5. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

I'd have said bye bye along time ago.

I dated a girl that called my parents "assholes". That was the last time I saw her...we were together for 4 years prior.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The problem I see with this is that you will inevitably act more like your parents as you get older, so unless you're trying to get away from your family, sticking around with someone who thinks your future self is an asshole is obviously going to cause trouble.

7. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Knowing those facts is enough reason to break it off, its not going to get any better

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

My ex's brothers girlfriend is like this. When she's around his family, all she does it sit to herself, arms crossed, with a grumpy look on her face. It's stupid. She also keeps him away from his family a LOT.

I don't see the point of being with someone if they never want to be around my family.

9. RachTyrTaiya

RachTyrTaiya New Member

You said you guys fight over stupid things such as jealousy and all that goes along with that . . . it sounds like she is jealous of your family(how close you are with them).

She is a crazy bitch and she won't be happy until she has you all to herself and has your undivided attention. That means getting you away from your family by guilting you into leaving events early and being a bitch about you even going in the first place.

10. MP18

MP18 New Member

i stopped after this, it's all i need to advise you to end the relationship

relationships are not supposed to be like this, once you get a good one you'll realize what a fucking nightmare this one was. sack up and do it

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You don't even sound happy. You have all the right reasons in the world to break up IMO.