A&P When sending images to a print house to get printed, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

Meaning ...

I spend $XXX on a nice large print from, say, Bay Photo. I took the pic, edited it in PS & LR, and it looks pimp on my Huey Pro-calibrated monitor.

How do I know that once I spend the $$, it's going to be sent to me looking exactly the same?

I know I have a big problem getting prints out of my own f'n printer (canon pro 9000) using the correct profiles for the printer & paper i have to even look the same.

Any tips?

2. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

My best tip would be to calibrate your monitor to look like your printer prints then save that calibration for reference when editing.

3. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I've printed several times from adoramapix. When you buy from that site, there is an option where their "pros" can color correct your images before printing. I just uncheck that option (so they don't touch a god damn thing) and have been very happy with the results.

Can't speak for other places though.

4. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

:rofl:

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

personally, I am in the middle of this right now

I have been testing by setting pics up how I like them and then sending them to have a test 4x6 made to check the color and lumenesence (very important for me) and I come home and check for how it is and then adjust my workflow as needed until I finally get my print to look how I want. Or better said - to get my monitor to better match my print. The biggest issue is to remember that on a monitor images are created with light and on print images are creates with pigment so the image will always not have the color lumenence in print so I am thinking to compensate for this I have been adjusting my images (ie opening up shadows more and toning down highlights and raising up brightness overall. I am finding that when a pic is over brightened on my monitor that I like the print

2 things to note

1) when testing be sure that your print company does not do anything more than PRINT - no color and contrast adjusting. and be sure to send TIFF files

2) when using your pro (which I am also using) when you get to the end about auto adjusting with ambient light - turn that OFF. or else it will continue to recalibrate and can alter the color setting. Also be sure adobe gamma is off, make sure you have rest or display color setting for your vid card so you are certain you are calibrated properly, in Photoshop in color setting make sure your grat is set to GAMMA 2.2 so that photoshop will display your image using the same gamma as your monitor so that you keep everything in synch. This is what neutralizes the midpoint (that is the best way I can explain it at least) so that your bright spots are not falsely bright

remember my thread about teaching me about color management. Your reply was "when I find out to let you know" I am letting you now know but I am still in a testing stage. I rather fuck up a bunch of 10 cent prints getting it right

oh and while you are at it have photoshop open up a blank image and use the eye dropper to be sure the color is 255,255,255 and then hold up a blank sheet of printer paper to the monitor and check for color cast. Pantone recognizes that some of their units have been associated with a slight pink color cast and it is something corrected by replacing hardware. sometimes it is hard to see when staring at a monitor so the paper gives you a good reference.

my 2 pennies for now - hope it helps

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'm always fighting my local lab to get prints right. Hehe even walmart's instant printer does a better job.

The biggest problem I have with the lab is they can't handle anything except a crappy tiny jpeg that a soccer mom sends them. Especially when I give them one of my astro photos I end up having to cut the size down from 300-700MBs (thats a single layer and only 16bit.) Oh that brings up another point they only accept 8 bit. Whats up with that because we in the astrophotography world are moving into 32bit and higher imagery.

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

1. Use a quality company.

2. Make sure you're both speaking the same color space language. (sRGB or AdobeRBG)

3. Use their ROE's software to upload the pics. Make sure you select "don't color correct"

4. ??????

5. Profit.

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

thanks, man. what did you mean by the bolded part? I get everything else.

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

this still does not mean that what he sees on his monitor will be the same as what is in print.

but I know what you mean once you have gotten your monitor tuned up right

10. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

hahaha my mind is going faster than my typing. it should be RESET YOUR, not rest or. I know for me, i can right click my monitor and go to nvidia control panel. in there is a link for adjust desktop color settings. in there in the upper right is a link to restore defaults - do this and then calibrate

and the word GRAT should be GRAY

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The thing I've learned is that my color calibrated monitor will still display my pics a bit lighter than they look when I have them printed.

Learn to trust your histogram and all will be well.

12. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Most print houses will provide you calibration kits to make sure your monitor matches their printers. Basically a print and a soft copy of it.

I've used Millers for a long time and I know how much off my monitor (Huey Pro calibrated) is from their printers. I've actually got it pretty close to what I see on my monitor.

13. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Also, obviously if you're using a new print house it's best to have them do some test prints. Select 8-10 prints that have a good range in color and temps and have them print 8x10's of them. This not only gives you a quality exampte, but gives you an idea if you need to adjust your monitor to match.

14. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

15. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

aaah, good deal. just did everything, and it looks pretty good (at least, the monitor does).

when the huey software asks "do you see 3 black areas on the top left, adn two white on the top right", are they -really- faint variances between the 3 blacks & 2 whites? I mean, i had to put my hand up below them to block all of the other light, so i could see the 5 different shades.

i'm using a dell 30" monitor that has no buttons on the front for contrast - only brightness. using the nvidia control panel would adjust the video card, i assume, and not necessarily the monitor.

i'll try printing some stuff with an online printer & see what happens

16. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

believe it or not, I've had the best luck with snapfish, and they're the cheapo soccer mom oriented shop.

17. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I wondered teh same thing, so I called huey about it and their responce to me was "can you see the rings" I said "barely" and they said "then they are there" It does not matter how distinct as long as they are there

18. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

you are contradicting yoruself.

I agree that the histogram is important, but you just said that your images are brighter on your display than in print. This means that you are trusting your histogram to be incorrect for your taste in the image.

For instance. I take a picture of a single candle lit in a room with no other light and it is dark in the room. The candle may be exposed properly and in focus and all the good stuff, but the histogram will have all the info on the left side with just a touch on the right. This would indicate underexposure. but just cause the info is all shoved to the left, does not mean it is not the picture you intended to capture

19. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No I'm not. All I'm saying is that my histogram is more accurate than my monitor. What looks good on my monitor is usually a tad lighter than what looks good in print.

Like you, I trust my histogram to show me where the whites/blacks are in my pics. However that doesn't necessarily mean that I want the whites to be all the way to the right or the blacks to be up against the left. It's simply a tool that is more accurate than my monitor in displaying the exposure values.

20. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

:bigthumb::bigthumb: