"When message is deleted, delete server copy."

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jan 3, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Why the hell doesn't Mail have this option? Stupid.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Under the Advanced tab in the account preferences, it has the option to "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:" and select the option for "When moved from Inbox" and it will remove it from the server when you move the message anywhere other then the inbox. Deleting it from Mail.app would be considered moving it from the inbox and will delete it.

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

I saw that. But I'd rather have the delete option.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

And it should do that. The one requirement is that for it to delete the message from the server it needs to check for new mail (either automatically or manually) and it must find new mail (if new mail is not found, it will not delete the message from the server). You also want to check to make sure that the Mailbox Behavior to move trashed messages to another folder is not checked.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6233697

5. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

IMAP?

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

This would all be on POP. If you're using IMAP it's much easier. Just uncheck the boxes under Mailbox Behaviors that say "Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" and "Store deleted messages on the server" and you're set.

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

Just learned about IMAP. Setup my Gmail accounts and it works great.

Now I wish Comcast had IMAP support. :(

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yeah I like IMAP much better. Works better when you're working between multiple machines too. I have 2 accounts (personal and work). One is IMAP and the other is POP.