When is the best "time" to install Windows?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jan 20, 2010.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm about to wipe my MBP and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard and I plan on installing Windows 7 using bootcamp. Last time I did this, my machine didn't seem the same as it was without Windows on it. Maybe it was psychological, I'm not sure.

There was one time I went to install Windows and it wasn't after a fresh install of OS X. Bootcamp took over an hour making the bootcamp partition because it had to move a lot of things around and I thought something was wrong and stopped it. Ended up having to wipe the whole drive and start fresh because I lost HD space due to a phantom partition.

So I'm wondering, when is the best time to install Windows? Should I install Snow Leopard and all the updates, then install Windows before I start installing my OS X apps? Or should I install all my OS X apps and set it up how I want it, then install Windows?

I'm guessing this probably doesn't matter but I wanted to see if anyone has noticed a difference depending on the order they've done things.

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

When you re-install, fire up disk utility and repartition and format the hard drive before you install mac os x. I think you still need to reformat the windows part when you get up to installing it as you cant format ntfs from mac.

Do you really need bootcamp? VMWare etc is so good.

3. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

ive only even partitioned a drive for bootcamp very soon after a fresh install. when i got my iMac it was the first thing i installed :dunno:

I have no logical reason to explain why I think that's better, but I do.

4. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i like bootcamp + vmware. sometimes i want to use the whole system in windows, sometimes i just need a routine task and vmware is enough.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

that is fair enough. A lot of people instantly think "bootcamp" when they want windows, but for most people running windows virtually is probably a better solution.

6. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Never. I personally didn't buy a mac so I could use Windows.

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Thats fine for you, but unfortunately I don't have the luxury of saying that.

8. verbal

verbal Active Member

I just want to play a few games.

As for partitioning at install-- does that work? Do I still have to run bootcamp or can I just put in a Windows install disc and boot off it?

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

Anyone? Does the above work? Could I partition at a fresh OS X install and just boot off a Windows disk to install it without using bootcamp?

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

as long as you can get the boot screen when you hold down option you're fine. with my laptop (a long time ago) boot camp wasn't enabled or something until I ran the wizard.. you also need a driver disk. so if you have all that you don't need to run the boot camp app..