When is Support for XP Going to Stop?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, Feb 21, 2008.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

When will XP users stop receiving from Windows Update? I know people have been saying that they will have to extend it because Vista sucks so bad. But whatever, Microsoft dosen't HAVE to do anything. But what is the actually date as of now?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

April 14, 2009 for general support, April 8, 2014 for extended support. That is for XP SP2. All previous versions (XP RTM, XP SP1) are already out of general support.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Vista doesn't suck. People who buy shitty machines and then get upset that they don't run current software quickly, suck.

4. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

:hsugh:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

with a clean OS install, and plenty of memory, yes. But most people still run 512MB of RAM and they wonder why a modern OS doesn't like their system.... 512MB now is like running 64MB with XP, lol.

Also users get pissed when their onboard gfx don't run Aero well.

Most pcs WILL run vista, but it's not optimal.

Microsoft simply says that they will run it... not that they run it well.

If you wanna run vista, you really need 80GB+ 7200rpm 8mb cache hdd... 3GHz+ netburst / 2GHz+ Core... 2GB ram.... discrete hardware-accelerated gfx DirectX 9+.....

6. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

:werd: MS isn't exactly going to come out and say that you need mid, to top of the line hardware to run our brand new OS. Especially when there are tons of people who hardly know the difference between memory and storage. They are just going to say 'yea, this pc can run Vista' they just trail off when they start the remainder of the sentence '.... but not very well'.

Shit, even my dad is now asking me for advice on if he should get a new laptop with Vista or not. I told him that its fine if you have the hardware to support it. And it seems that 2GB of ram is the new standard... and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get it anymore either, so why not?

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Funny story, as far as this Vista discussion...

In my presession class, the last day we had group presentations. Well, the IT department had installed Vista on the computer that night but apparently forgot about getting drivers for it. Needless to say, the teacher spent 45 minutes dealing with it freezing. Apparently everytime the first group put their USB flash drive in the computer to load their presentation, the computer completely froze and had to be restarted. There were other issues but that was the main one. In the end our presentations got cut short and not everyone was able to present... I don't know what happen with their grade.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's not even vista-specific... don't load drivers for any OS and it's gonna have probs.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

True, but simple things like that are generally plug and play with say, XP. Things still generally at least work until you get the proper driver. There is built in out of the box functionality with Vista.

I am not putting down Vista. Just agreeing with the fact that most problems are user, or in this case IT, error. But some problems shouldn't even exist, like incompatibility with standard technology (eg: USB), and will hopefully be fixed with SP1.