MIL When I...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jyokker, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

...meet a stranger outside the base and a casual conversation starts up, I don't usually tell them I am in the military. I do not have a high and tight so it is usually a toss up for them whether I am military or not.
    If they ask, I usually say I'm self employed. I don't know why.
    I am not ashamed of being in the military.
    I am just not one to put stickers on my car or otherwise advertise my military status.
    I just don't feel comfortable letting a complete stranger know I am military.
    I know I am weird.
    I need a beer.
    :)
    Anyone else weird like me?

2. insomnia

insomnia New Member

I think it's an air force thing :mamoru:

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I have a sticker on my car (cops), and I wear a USMC hoodie at the gym (so I can get to know other Marines at the gym. Always a couple).

I might as well just wear my cammies 24/7 because everytime my friends introduce me to someone it's "Hey this is socrates, he's a marine." --- And they wonder why I barely hang out with them anymore.

Although I am still a motivated boot and oorah and all that, for some reason I don't like people knowing i'm a Marine until I know them a little better.

It seems everytime someone finds out, they tell me about all 10 people they know who are in Iraq right now or in some base which they don't know the name of.

4. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

i dont mention it unless they ask.

5. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

it's kinda hard to hide the fact that I'm in the military here in Okinawa, but when I was in the states I usually didn't tell people that I was in that much.

6. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

I just don't bring it up. I usually say I'm in communications if they ask what i do

7. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I let people find out for themselves... unless I am wearing a usmc shirt. I don't like wearing clothing with it on when my hair is long or I am unshaven.

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

If they ask sure, if not I really don't give a crap.

9. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I keep a DOD sticker on my car and a high and tite when I'm not on leave... That's the only clue. I mean, I don't have shit to prove, why should I go out and advertise it. I have noticed that the only fucking people that walk around with OIF Veteran shirts and crap are the dudes that went to Kuwait/Qatar/Jordan or wherever. Just not the actual OIF Vets. Plus the only people that walk around in stupid Army shirts and stuff are people that are in: A. Soft MOSes; B. New Recruits; C. Hooah ass Airborne losers. (Not that I'm jealous of them... I had a chance and passed it up, I just dont think it's that cool). So yeah, I say be army in uniform and be a human being after work. I don't need a "Go Army" sticker on my car to know that I'm in the army.

10. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

What communications company? If you're up there I'm gonna guess 1st SATCOM Bn...

11. Dementio

Dementio OT Supporter

302nd

12. pakman

pakman New Member

Civilians that work on military installations have them as well. That's the only thing on my car that would indicate I may be military. No fucking way you'd catch me with that shit yellow magnet on my car :ugh:

13. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

a yellow magnet shaped like a ribbon that says shit like "support our troops" and stuff like that. I think every car in Fayetteville has one other than mine.

14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

DOD sticker is pretty mandatory.

15. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Those are meant to show support for deployed soldiers by friends/relatives back home, so I would be surprised to see you with one on your own car if you're in the military. :hsugh: