When i uninstall a trial version

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zanyspy_dude, Jul 18, 2006.

1. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

then delete it, and reinstall, how does it know that i had it before? It's supposed to have a 15 day free trail, but i've had it 2 and now it won't start in shareware mode....is there any way i can fix this? (i've emailed their support in the mean time...)

This leads into a general question, do all sorts of this shit get written into my registry and i just never notice?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep.

Fuck the registry. Text files FTMFW.

3. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

is there anyway to find and delete these entries?

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

why not just buy it :squint:

5. codemartinet

codemartinet lucky strikes

well, yes and no.

If you had saved a copy of your registry before you installed the trial software, you could do a diff (read: comparison) on the two files to see what registry keys the program added. One of those is probably your culprit and if you delete it the program will forget that it is over the 15 day trial. It is pretty impossible to find this key after it has already been stashed away in the registry as it could have any name and any value.

However, the program could have also hidden a file in the file system that tells it how old the trial software has been installed on your system. To find something like this you would have to install a program like tripwire that keeps track of your entire file system and reports and added or modified files.

Cliffs: Since you didn't keep track of where the program stashed its secret information about where it was installed, there is probably no way for you to do what you want. If you do a thorough search and the programmers are stupid then you might be able to find it.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Jebus H Christ all you have to do is run filemon and regmon to see what the program is touching when it starts. sheez. It's not rocket science.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So THAT's how you do that!

Spiffy.