When I install my sound card the pc will not start, when its out, it starts HELP PLZ!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Paulie Walnuts, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hello all. I built a new PC. When I try and install my sound card and turn the PC on nothing happens. If I remove the sound card and boot up everything is just fine, what gives??!?!?!?!?

My sound card is an Audigy MP3+ and my mobo is a ASUS P4P800 delexe.

Please help Im new to building PCs and its driving me up a wall.
    Thank you

2. MP

MP New Member

IRQ conflict.

First thing you'll probably have to do is delete your original sound drivers, then see what irq your current sound is using and if you have any other irq free (can't use 13 or 14 don't ask why). If you go into the device manager Control Panel, select system, and then device manager.

-Under the "Ports (COM and LPT)" section, select LPT1, then click on Properties.
    -Select the Resources tab. Make note of the "Interrupt Request" value.
    -Close this window, so you are back in the Device Manager screen. Under "Sound, Video and Games Controllers", select your sound card device (this will vary depending on the type of sound card you have).
    -Select Properties. Under the Resources tab, check the Interrupt Request setting. If it is the same as the one assigned to your LPT1 port, you should change it to a different setting. What IRQs you have available depends on the amount of hardware in your system. Some video cards can be set so they do not use an IRQ (but it's not likely)

what operating system? 2000 & Xp surprisingly have irq sharing but you'll have to look at your mobo manual to figure out how to do it.

3. Paulie Walnuts

Nope that didnt work can anyone else help. I am running XP pro, this is so damn frustrating.

4. MP

MP New Member

it's gotta be irq conflict

5. Paulie Walnuts

6. Paulie Walnuts

Hell I am just trying to get the audio controls on the mobo to recognize my four Klipsch speakers right now and that I cannot even get to work. Damn tech stuff I do not understand!!

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I am going to assume you have onboard audio...just cause all the new mobos seem to have it...make sure you disable that, and see if that solves anything

also if you have another PC available try to check and see if the sound card works in that one, could be a bad card...

8. MP

MP New Member

I dunno then.

Try what Leb_CRX suggested.

Last time I had that similar problem it was an irq conflict so :dunno:

9. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

You shouldn't be building computers then.

10. NaftaWRX

NaftaWRX Guest

IRQ should be 17..
    other than that, it's pretty much what Leb_CRX said. try disabling one of the soundcards

11. Leb_CRX

we all gotta start somewhere :wiggle:

12. Paulie Walnuts

How about, fuck you.

13. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

how about pay the $30 to get it installed from ur local computer store? you obviously arnt technically inclined cause what was explained in here SHOULD of worked.

14. Leb_CRX

ya but who knows, maybe the guy has some weird problem, what is everyone's problem, we all gotta start somewhere, you dont want to help the guy, thats ok, but dont post negative shit in the thread.

I put together my first computer, barely knowing shit, and I learned tons from fucking up and not from it working fine...I say if he wants to do it, do it, plus it's not always about the money, it's the fun of it, even if it takes him a week and he learns a few things, better that way then it working fine, and him not having learned anything

15. arc3 ange1

arc3 ange1 Never be bought, Never be sold

:werd: x532634743723

16. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yes but is it funny for a guy to rune his new sound card and motherboard, etc? im just saying if he put it in, it started acting up, he cant figure it out, what we suggested didnt work then something is up. just take it spend the $30 bucks to get it fixed.

17. Leb_CRX

did I say it was funny? NO i'm trying to help the guy out...and well it's part of the risk one takes when setting up a machine...live and learn, if your competant enough to do it, you will do it, if not you just learned a valubale lesson in life...

point is when one decides to build a machine, he accepts consequences like everything else in life, and there's chance of failure, if one's not willing to accept that, he should pay the pro's to do it

18. Paulie Walnuts

Thanks for the support. You spelled out how I felt about building this PC. I still cannot get it to work although I did not spend that much time on it today because I was busy with other things.

Yes, it has on board audio. How would I disable that? Again it is a ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo hooked up to a 2.4Ghz P4 800 Mhz FSB.

19. Leb_CRX

There's a few ways one can disable onboard audio it depends, check the manual, the new ones are generally BIOS but the older ones are jumpers, but you never know, check the manual to confirm

No prob dude I know how frustrating this can be, just stick in there, if you can try the card on another machine, go for it, might be a bad card...

20. Paulie Walnuts

I know that it is not a bad card because I pulled it off my old 1.5 Ghz system and it was working fine. I looked through the manual and I could not tell I thought that I might have disabled it because when I start the PC up it keeps telling me that it detected new hardware. I am going to try and instal the card again and see what happens.

Is it possible that this new of a mobo that the sound card may be incompatable?

21. Paulie Walnuts

Ok disabled the onboard sound, rebooted. Shut off the PC installed, the sound card, PC still will not boot.

And inregards to the above post about:
    Under the "Ports (COM and LPT)" section, select LPT1, then click on Properties.
    I did this
    -Select the Resources tab. Make note of the "Interrupt Request" value.
    This value was not there under the LPT1 port only on the COM port
    -Close this window, so you are back in the Device Manager screen. Under "Sound, Video and Games Controllers", select your sound card device (this will vary depending on the type of sound card you have).
    -Select Properties. Under the Resources tab, check the Interrupt Request setting. If it is the same as the one assigned to your LPT1 port, you should

Well where to go from here?!?!?

22. Paulie Walnuts

This is what I have

[​IMG]