When grounding a car amp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hairy Gorilla, May 8, 2006.

1. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I was trying to install a sub in my car last weekend and I couldnt get the system to work. I am confident that everything was wired correctly, because the power light on the amp lit up. I had the sub turned "on" on the Alpine player, and the RCAs were hooked up to the correct output. The only thing that I think I messed up was the power/ground. The power wire was an 8 gauge wire, while the ground was a tiny 18 gauge wire. The ground was also 16' long. And, it didnt have the best connection. Am I pretty much answering my own question here? hah. My friend told me it is pretty important that the ground and power are the same gauge, and that the ground is short, and has a good connection. Is this all pretty much leading to why my sub wouldn't push at all? Thanks for your time...

btw, I used this same system in my car a few years ago, and it worked fine. I just couldn't remember for the life of me how I had it set up...:hsd:

2. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Pretty much answered it yourself... ;)

I'd recommend using at least and 8guage wire, preferably 24" or less...

:)

3. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Thanks. I'm going to try to wire it back up tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully i'll be successful. I've got an 8 gauge ground that is 2' long that i'll wire up.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Yea, 16' and 18awg is going to be far too resistive. The 2' 8awg wire you have should be fine, just make sure the grounding point is good, making sure to take a wire brush to the area and use a locking washer.

5. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Installed the system today a little more carefully. Attached connectors to the ends of each wire, and made sure I had a solid ground. Also, used the 8gauge 18" long wire for the ground. The system worked perfectly.

I highly recommend this Alpine deck for use with a sub. cda-9857!

Thanks for the help guys