when do you take casein protein?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TheMustafa, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

whey seems pretty ubiquitus, but what about casein? seems like this would be better for my morning shakes. anyone use casein?

2. i just got into it myself n since its slower digesting than whey, i take it with my other supps pre work out and right before bed time.

only prob i have with it is how much more expensive it is than whey. for like the same price, the last time i bought it, i got half as much for my money than the whey, so i use it a lil more sparingly (more on the leg n back days than anything else)

3. Zika

Zika My avatar is still NOT me

Casein is slow digesting so is best before bed. It slowly rreleases the protein for 7 hours. Whey is quick releasing.

It's by guess then that casein before bed and whey when you wake. You need whey in the morning to strive off catabolism as youneed protein as quick as you and may not have any more protein in your blood stream from the night before as you've been sleeping for around 8 hours.

Plus you'll proly be eating again in the next few hours so casein is pretty pointless.

Either way, don't stress that much about it.

4. D-GUy

D-GUy Guest

Used to take it before bed and before I went to work or would not eat for a long period of time. Stopped doing that since the shit is expensive.

5. Bruised Lee

Bruised Lee John Kune Do, puncher of faces

bump back up for a quick qustion, instead of taking casein, can one just take smaller amounts of whey through out the day? cause that shit is pretty expensive. i'm using muscle milk... not bad for bulking right?

6. lehoema

lehoema New Member

i take it right after my workouts.

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

casein is pretty expensive... but before bedtime is when you should be taking it.

8. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

whenever really. when i can't eat for a while, or before bed. or in the am with other protein.

9. before bed, and with breakfast. prevent overnight/early morning catabolism, and gives you a long-burning souce of protein through the first part of your day that supplements the effects of whey. now, if you workout in the morning, I'd probably skip the morning casein, it's to heavy on the stomach, IMO. but I'd still eat casein at least twice a day, in addition to pre and post workout whey.

10. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

casein protein is expensive, so I just eat cottage cheese which contains it. (cheap)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.