When do you go to Xeons?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Jul 20, 2005.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So I'm building a server and I can do it for fairly cheap without using dual Xeons but I'm wondering if I should just do it.

Is there really a need? It's going to be running a web portal, email, database but the business is not that big and isn't going to be that big any time soon. I was thinking of going a little cheap and build a single processor system now and when we do need to expand, split the duties and get another server.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

I started building one and the prices started to escalate for each little thing I added. Plus I enjoy building them, I get to pick the components I want.

Anyway, that wasn't the question ;)

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

all depends on load. I've run some pretty big forums (not as big as OT -- but still 500+ users online at a time) and they run fine on 1 CPU boxes. I usually do P4 2.4A's with 1GB-2GB of RAM. That's probably more load than you'll throw at yours, so I say go for it. Are you colo? The other thing, is if you can get them to spring for the Dual Xeons, then you won't be disappointed... So it depends on how much "margin" you want on it. The P4 is likely fine... The Xeon will take what you throw at it, and more.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Were not going to colo due to wanting to access the database locally for other reasons that a colo couldn't provide. And the load is going to be less than 500 at a time, I would say a lot less since these are established customers. And I have the option down the road of splitting the duties of the box as it grows, which may make more sense than spending more money now.

Thanks for the advice :bigthumb:

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

we use xeons for all swervers, regardless of whether it is overkill. i have a four-way xeon box in orlando that just serves up sftp for christ's sake - a pentium 3 could do the job. hell, a pentium II could probably do it. just retarded. but that's the standard :dunno:

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah and I can see why, Xeon MBs seem to be the only one's with PCI-X in them. But I think I can save some money now and spend it later for something bigger.