Wheelies

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mistergixter, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

I am working on improving on my power(roll on) wheelies. My wheelies vary in distance and angle. Sometimes I can carry them for a short distance with a nice angle, sometimes I can't carry them very long but I get the front wheel up high. I know I am rolling off the throttle when I get it to high, I want to keep it going but my mind wants to roll off. I know practice will make me better. I am not a stunter, by any means, but I do like doing first gear wheelies every once and awhile. Any suggestions to help aide with this?

On a side note, have you ever slammed your 'boys' into the tank after setting the front tire down too hard?:noes:

2. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

i dont know of any sure fire trick to doing wheelies..... just keep messing with them and know you might loop it out before you get it down.
    to hold a good one out its all about finding your balance point. either sitting down or standing- front pegs, rear pegs, one front one back.....

3. mistergixter

mistergixter New Member

I prefer sit down wheelies, but from what I have been told, those are the harder ones to manage.

4. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

you just gotta get comfortable in your head cause if you force it before your ready you'll probably loop it or panic and drop it too hard on the way down and dump it. And yes have hit the boys pretty hard cause the first time i wheelied on my busa i wasnn't expecting it cause i was trying for the power wheelie and nothing was happening in first without clutching it so i was relaxed and rolled to open in first and it came up probably damn close to 11 or 12 and i was at about 9k in first gear when it came up and i panicked and hit the rear brake to hard hit the boys about as hard as they've ever been hit and smashed the chin of my helmet direcly onto my brand new bikes tank leaving a lil chip in her

5. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Clutch it up.

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

and this is why you don't start on a 'busa :rofl:

7. chaggot

chaggot New Member

You couldn't get it up in first on a busa so you clutched it...sounds like a bad idea to me.

8. Junkie

:werd: should've gotten a turbo instead

9. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

no i didn't clutch it up

10. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

i've done them before on dirtbikes but not before on a sportbike

11. rubba-chikin

rubba-chikin New Member

I'm in the same position now with my Husa FS650e.

Trying hard not to get too carried away cause I'm still very new to the bike.

It has buttloads of torque and giving the throttle a hard twist in 2nd will get the front off no problems. It's most likely all mind games and you think you are much further up than you really are. If the lift is too quick and violent I just let off the gas. The smooth power wheelies I can hold for a short time but they are only a foot off the ground.

I've ridden tons of BMX before and am well aquainted with balance points etc but I just don't have balls to try and hold it up higher at speed. Or maybe I do have some sense afterall to take it easy :p

Good thing about a tard is theres lots of seat and not much tank to smash ur balls with on a hard putdown.

12. chaggot

chaggot New Member

ok so you didnt clutch it up, but you still couldnt power it up in first on a busa?? you do know the gas is on the right correct?

13. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Dunno, but acceleration wheelies look way better than just standing the bike up. I've never been more impressed than when I saw a bike get on and empty interstate and hold his front tire about 2' off the ground until he was passing the few cars out there like they were standing still and it dropped down gracefully because he ran out of juice.

14. Trey-D

Trey-D New Member

i agree

15. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

yeah thanks :fawk: it usually doesn't come up unless your sitting more relaxed straight up this was when i was just getting used to the bike and testing it out. I was saying it wasn't coming up unless i was clutching it up so it came as a surprise when it came up when it hadn't been earlier

16. Junkie

so you had a busa as a first bike and were still getting used to it and already doing wheelies?

:facepalm:

17. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

He's a fucking idiot.
    I had dirtbikes before, and so you thought that wheelies with a busa were a good idea? There's wheelies with a sports bike, then there's wheelies with a busa.
    Either way, you're an idiot. lol

18. 87Charger

87Charger New Member

I'm starting to learn wheelies on my 04 r6 at the moment. I'm a big guy though (250 lbs, 6' tall), so with my weight it's hard to do power wheelies. I can do ones that imo are small in first gear pretty easily, but after that I'm too heavy for pure power to lift the front end up. So I've been working on just controlling distance and height in first while practicing clutching it up.

I got the front up clutching it at about a 45* angle last night which is the highest I've gotten it so far and was the first time I've ever truely been scared on the bike.

19. Junkie

did it feel like 45* or did someone else see it?

20. 87Charger

87Charger New Member

It felt like 45*. I was alone riding around when I did it. I'm just guessing 45* but the front end definitely came up at least a few feet on it.