Wheel of Time Series

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by storm, Aug 3, 2004.

1. storm

storm hi

wtf is the eye of the world?
    i'm up to page 200ish of the second book, and finished the 1st book...i'm kind of unclear about what it is. unless its supposed to be that way, dont ruin it for me =)

thanks.

btw i'm loving this.

2. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

The Eye of the World was the clear (as in untainted) pool of Saiden that Rand taps into to fight Aginor at the of the first book. It also hid the Horn of Valare, Dragon Banner, and one of the Seals to the Dark One's prision (if I remember correctly).

I loved the battle at Tarwin's Gap and the discussion that happened there. I always wondered if this was the Creator speaking.

3. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Yes, the books are too cool.

I don't think the eye of the world was meant to be unclear... From reading the first book, one gathers that the eye of the world is a source of pure saidin, created by male and female Aes Sedai in one of the last times that they worked together after the Dark One's backlash tainted saidin.

It may be helpful to keep a journal about people, places, and such things, as the books get rather complicated soon and you may wanna come up with your own theories and "who done it's"...lol.

I started a thread a lil while back (very much like this one), and OT gave up a couple good sites that you may wanna look at. Remember, if you check out the sites, to only look within the books that you ahve already read, as not to get all messed up.

Oh, Book 2...I miss those days in the books, when self discovery were everything. Who woulda imagined...

Oh yea, Moiraine.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1090886

4. CoCo

I always thought it was. Wasn't it even in all capitol letters in the book? I was like, :eek3: , Rand has the Creator in his head.

5. storm

storm hi

ok wtf. what battle of tarwins gap lol.

hm...i must be a sloppy reader.

oh yeah, i knew the eye was saidin..but i thought it was more than that cuz the dark one said that the eye of hte world will not serve you, so i thought it was an actual eye instead of just a pool.

thanks.

6. CoCo

The Eye of the World, Chapter 51: Against the Shadow

[set up-> In the last chapter, we have just learned exactly what the Eye of the World is, and the Balthamel and Aginor attack the group. The Green Man tells them to leave, grabbing Balthamel as he is burning. Before the Green Man collapses, Balthamel begins rotting and dies. As the Green Man dies he touches the acorn, making an oak tree grows. Moiraine tries to slow Aginor but he easily escapes her weaves. Everyone runs and Aginor follows Rand.
    -end chapter 50-]

Rand runs away up a hill. He hears Moiraine stop screaming, and sees Aginor following him. He reaches a cliff and has to stop. As Aginor arrives, we see that he is growing younger. He tells Rand that Ba'alzamon will give great rewards to whomever brings Rand to Shayol Ghul, but he faced Lews Therin in the Hall of the Servants and does not want to share power. Rand sees a glowing white rope on Aginor (he was drawing on the Eye of the World) and Rand begins to draw on it himself. Aginor says it is his, draws even more, and bursts into flames. Rand desperately wants to get away, and suddenly he is at Tarwin's Gap!

An army of men fights an army of Trollocs and Fades. He sees banners, the Black Hawk of Fal Dara, the White Hart of Shienar, the horned skull of the Dha'vol, the red trident of the Ko'bal and the iron fist of the Dhai'mon. Rand sees six Draghkar and strikes them out of the sky with lightning (remember Min's viewing about him and lightning?). He pounds on the ground and a wall of flame and rock pours over the Trollocs. He says, "This has to end." A voice in his head says, "IT IS NOT HERE. I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL!" Rand asks, "Where?" The voice replies, "NOT HERE." (this is what we were talking about regarding the Creator...) Stairs appear and he climbs them through blackness, eventually reaching the same wooden door of his dreams (this is first time that Rand uses Skimming). Here, he faces Ba'alzamon again, who also has a cord, but it is black and bigger...

7. CoCo

I remember that. In Chapter 24, Rand is dreaming and Ba'alzamon tells Rand that the Eye of the World will not serve him. I think it was more a comment that the plan Moiraine had of using the Eye of the World to seal the bore wouldn't work, because Rand didn't have enough control to actually channel the Saidin. But then again, one must remember the name they used for the DO...the father of lies...

8. Acesn8s

I found a couple of other WoT readers in the OT Library section of the Forum .

Storm, with this series you'll definitely want to reread the books, or take some time to mull over any scenes where prophacies, visions, dreams, or Forsaken/the Dark One appear. Jordan likes to leave clues about what's going to happen in future books.

Go back and reread the part near the end of Eye of the World where Rand is acting all goofy-like he's seeing his friends for the first time, he's relearning to walk, etc-when I first read it I thought Jordan was just describing Rand as having his bell rung. As the books go on something significent happens with Rand and it maked me think that this part of the book alludes to much more.

9. CoCo

...hehe...

10. storm

storm hi

i see.

i knew all that, just didn't know it was called what you called it ;)
    boy i sound dumb., lol

11. Acesn8s

Cool. I'm being intentionally vague with my descriptions because I don't want to spoil anything for you in the alter books; because of this, some of my posts might come seeming like I think you didn't catch anything. That's just because I'm trying to be so careful not to spoil anything.

12. storm

storm hi

thanks =)

i'm progressing through book2 really quick, i think i'll be done soon.

thanks again =)

13. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

Update?

Was it everything you'd expect it to be? :dunno:

14. storm

storm hi

yeah it was awesome.
    i liked book 2 better than book 1 just cuz i have more of a feel to the characters.
    right now i'm on book 3...about page 500.
    It started out awesome...it slowed down in the middle...and is picking up again (book 3)

i like how he describes the scenery.then i just picture it and wish i was there.

its awesome. i definitely recommend this to all

15. red_fox

red_fox New Member

I was pretty confused about the eye thing too even after I finished the book. But it's all good now. :big grin:

16. CrowCaw

CrowCaw New Member

I thought The Great Hunt was boring :hs:
    At least compared to the first and the few after it.

17. CrowCaw

CrowCaw New Member

:ugh: CoCo, do you know what your posts look like using Teh Darkness?

18. bleak

bleak Guest

Sadly, it's been so long since I've read the first few books in The Wheel of Time, that I can't remember many specific place names (or names of others than the main characters). However, it is a great series and I can't wait for the newest one to come out. I might even reread the previous onces until then.

19. CoCo

...wow, I do now! That's amazing!

20. Acesn8s

The encyclopedia Wheel of Time is a great site to use to refresh your memory on the previous novels. :bigthumb:

21. Norrec

Norrec Guest

i tried reading the first book but i got really bored when i got to the 2nd chapter.... is it gona get any better... although i havnt read any fight scenes of the sort:hs:

22. Acesn8s

It will get much better. In the beginning Jordan just takes him time getting you use to the characters (mostly the 3 boys) and their way of life.

Once you get settled in, he starts dropping the bombs.

Try and remember any outragious boasts the characters make, dreams they have, symbols, or folk heroes. You may pick up on something later in the series.

The titles of some of the stories people requested Thom tell is pretty cool.

The Thousand Tales of Anla, the Wise Counselor. Lenn who traveled to the moon in the belly of an eagle. Mosk the Giant, his wars with Elsbet Queen of All, Materese the Healer-Mother of the Wondrous Ind. ;)

23. Norrec

Norrec Guest

ok thanks... ill continue to read and see how it goes :)

24. Acesn8s

No one else wants to comment on these stories?

The Thousand Tales of Anla, the Wise Counselor.
    Lenn who traveled to the moon in the belly of an eagle.
    Mosk the Giant, his wars with Elsbet Queen of All,
    Materese the Healer-Mother of the Wondrous Ind.

25. CoCo

I suggest keeping a journal... It comes in handy later.