Wheel lip discoloration, ways to fix it?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ryan Wiggum, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

2 of my Volk wheels have a reddish (and green at certain angles) tint on the lips in the sunlight. I think it's a problem with the clearcoat. I could send them in for repair, they are under warranty. However, the cost of dismounting the wheels and shipping are holding me back from doing so. On top of that, they might not fix them after inspecting them.

Is there a way to fix them with a polishing or waxing product? I've been told that Volk wheels are anodized clearcoated, if that matters.

If not, I'll look into stripping and re-applying the clearcoat. How much does that usually cost?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Cant really tell the discoloration from the pictures, have you used any polish on them and put some elbow grease into it?

3. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

that red/purple tint is the discoloration. i haven't done anything to them yet, I'm afraid i might make it worse

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Thats not clear coat failure.
    Its the metal itself. It has a texture and a surface to it. And its catching the light and refracting it. Similar to the same way that a CD give off a purplish, green, blueish tint when its held in light. Its becuase of the pitted texture of the foil.

I wouldent worry about it. They have probibly been that way since the day you bought them. Youve just not finally noticed it. Or it could be that a product or brush that you are useing has micro-abraded it.

Either way, dont panic. Your making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

5. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

:dunno:
    the 2 other wheels don't have it

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Front, rear, left side, right side?

Its either brake dust etching, or an environmental effect from UV exposure, etc.

7. Ryan Wiggum

Ryan Wiggum hadoken

front driver's side, and rear passenger side. the wheels are one month old.

I called the vendor earlier today and he told me that he received a new set of wheels from the manufacturer with the same discoloration. Seems to be a bad batch

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Weird.

Like i siad, im not so sure its a "bad batch" as much as an evil of the manufactureing process.

Trysending them back in though. :dunno: