SRS whats your view on suicide?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by M.O.B., Jan 30, 2005.

1. M.O.B.

M.O.B. New Member

I was just wondering whats the general thought on this topic? I view it as natures way of weeding out the genectically defective and inept. I am a living exmaple of it. I have nothing to look forward to, no girl/wife, no job, still with the parents, and I'm 26. Everyone else has all these and then some by the time they turn my age.

Nothing ever gets better for me or my family, its like theres some inevitable force that fucks us over every chance it gets and it ignores everyone else. It feels like my sole purpose on this planet is to take all the anguish and bullshit on so everyone else can have nice productive normal life of their own.

I'm at my ropes end and I know this will not subside, so I ask, isnt this a way of elminating the unessecary? please let me know!

Also I have posted this in the main offtopic forum here http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1577581&page=1&pp=25

2. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Due to my having agnostic beliefs: I would say suicide would be a waste since once you die there is no after life and you should therefore make the most of your life as is for you will never get to see where the human race heads. I only hope I can live to be 100 so I can view the technological miracles which lie ahead for us.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

My view on suicide is good people self destructing. From what I've seen, bad people have the desire to live more than anyone else. Slowly work yourself back into society. Get a job. It doesn't have to be a great job. Nothing should be beneath you. I mean you can make thousands more than what you're making now just by taking a minimum wage job.

4. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Try telling this to someone who is burying a child tomorrow morning or someone who just found out they have a terminal illness. They would probably gladly trade shoes with you.

I was single and lived with my mom past the age of 26. I felt bad about it at times, but the reality of it was I wasn;t in a financial position yet to take on responsibilties of a household, and even of a marriage. My husband (then fiance) and I even split up over some stupid issues for a bit, we both had some growing up and maturing to do before we truly were ready to enter into marriage. Once we had done what we needed to do to get on in life all the pieces of our life puzzle fell in place together. Just because "everyone else" is married, has a job and their own place by a certain age, doesn't necessarily mean life is grand. Some may be struggling to make ends meet. Perhaps you still need to grow and mature in areas before you are ready to take on the world.

I believe we all control our destinies to some extent. 98% of what's affecting us is usually the result of choices we make on our own will, good or bad. You have to decide what you want for yourself and work toward it. Nothing in life come to you without some blood, sweat and tears invested. Nothing comes without compromise or sacrifice. Even people who seem to have everything handed to them on a silver platter pay a price, and in many cases that price costs them alot more...they wouldn't know what to do if the real world slapped them upside the head, and to me that is far worse than not being able to afford something I want or having to work harder to get it.

Now as far as my thoughts on suicide? I believe it is the cowardly way out. Yes there are severe problems, issues or situations life throws in our direction. But we have to do what it takes to turn a bad situation into something good, if not at least a valuable life lesson. Unless one is profoundly mentally ill, we all can choose to cope. Yes many things in life can really bring us down, but in the end, it is worth hurting your family and friends over this selfish act? We have to decide for ourselves to make the best of any situation.

My first real introduction to death was when my father passed way 10 years ago. We werent super close but I was very sad to lose him. A short time later my mom, brother, sister and I all started going through his stuff. Seeing all the artifacts of this material world he left behind really stuck a chord with me on how real and final death is. It also really hit that you can't take anything with you when you leave this life. Going thru his stuff made me feel hurt, left behind and empty. Is this how you would want your family to feel?
    To me there is nothing worth taking your life over. Yes, shit happens...you get some life-altering injury or your heart is broken. We can still decide to not let our hurts defeat us.

5. RyeBread

RyeBread If you tell the truth you don't have to remember a

I started to type something, thought better of it after reading this. Well put.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My view is that if you are the type that only has two alternatives, after years of sadness: "Kill myself," or "Be miserable," then you should kill yourself. If you can possibly see a way to get help, and to change, then don't do it. Get help.

Alot of people don't really want to be happy, though. They just want to bitch and complain. For these types, I think suicide is a viable option.

I realize that this is not very nice. But it is how I honestly feel.

7. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

Suicide seems like a way to make others around you mourn while allowing you to perhaps be happier. Say you're the manager of a decently large group of workers. You get offered a promotion, but if you take it, they're going to eliminate your old group of workers. Sure, you'll be happy, but they'll all be screwed over. That's a bad analogy, but I've always viewed suicide as hurting the people who care about you or depend on you.

I would say that if you committed suicide a lot more people than you'd imagine would be heartbroken. If you think life isn't getting better for you or your family, committing suicide isn't going to help your family out any.

8. I have no judgment on it.

9. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:bigthumb: i totally agree...very well put!

see, this is what i don't get... :sad2:

living life is all about the experiences we encounter. you know, the ups and downs; the happy times, and the not so happy ones. cancelling one out, means that we truly don't get to experience all that life has to offer. experiencing one helps to understand the reasons for the other.

this reminds me of a conversation i had with a friend of mine at the gym the other day. she had been through some rough times, and she wondered why things seemed to be going so wrong for her. :sad2: then it hit her! life has it's weird way of fluxuating. bad things happen for reasons, but good times are nearby. things are looking up for her.

no one is perfect, and no two people are exactly the same. that said, it completely infuriates me that people compare their histories with others. we are all different people! we have all been down many different forks in many different roads. life is full of an infinite amount of choices, but you are the one that decides what life you're going to lead.

i recently found this quote, and it's become one of my favorite... :)

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become." ---Buddha

10. suicide = absolutely unacceptable..

Short and simple.

11. johan

johan Active Member

Excellent!

12. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

thank you :big grin:

13. Oddjob

Oddjob Guest

Well DUDE, if you have enough money to pay for your funeral then go for it, life is what you make it. and remeber its not across the street is down the highway

If you want to know your past life, look into your present condition. If you want to know your future, look into your present action" -Padmisambha