MMA What's your motive or drive?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GSPFAN, Sep 28, 2006.

1. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

We all have a reason to do anything and when it comes to MMA I think everyone has a specific reason they put in all the work they do. For those of you that train, why do you do it?

For me, I hate watching and wondering if that could be me. I know that may sound childish to some but I want to be in the cage/ring, in the heat of battle. I love the idea of being able to take your shot at the world, it's raw, unpredictable, yet controllable. In the end only the best man survives and the psychology of it intrigues me. I don't necessarily want go in an "hurt" someone, I don't LOVE to fight, but I do love to compete. I didn't grow up a fighter, nor did I have a bad life using this as my excuse to hurt people. My future in any other sport is over due to age (25) but with MMA there is still a chance. Lastly, if nothing else, it helps me continue to get in better shape and I like that idea of motivation.

Anyways, I am curious why the rest of you wake up every day or every other day and decide to go train.

2. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

I'm trying to go super saiyan.

3. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i'm not satisfied until i'm the best at something, no matter what i do i never compare myself to the average or 2nd best. Be it at lifting weights, school, work etc.etc. Thats what keeps me motivated and willing to go back and back. And usually i always overdo things like that, i go balls out trying to reach that goal.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

my movtive/drive is competition, i can't really wrestle in any organization anymore because usf only has a club, and a shitty one at that. so i figured jiu jitsu is the next best thing..

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

for me something like a grappling match seems like one of the purest forms of competition. During the match there is no "team" involved, and all fuckups are your fault. But when you win, you also get all of the glory which really has nothing that can match that feeling.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

It started out as a fun thing to do. I was always into martial arts and early on i started watching MMA. Very quickly it turned into "I want to do this someday, atleast once". But after that I got sidetracked and fell off track. I was out for over a year.

Then I came back. I didn't come back with any intentions, but I just hit a groove. I started picking things up fast again, started learning alot, and I realized I really really liked getting better at this sport and at fighting. And talk of actually fighting was really getting me going. I ran highschool track, crosscountry, played football, and even played water polo for a season. I know what it was to compete and be good at what you do.

After finally stepping up and talking to my coach about fighting, really fighting, I am more motivated than ever. To be able to finally step into the cage or ring, and do what I so far have only seen on television... I just can't wait. I've been pushing myself harder ever day and really just soaking everything in. I'm taking notes on every class, I'm keeping track of workouts in a Blog, and now I'm taking extra private lessons on the side to improve my game even further. If I'm going to do this, I'm not going to half ass it. I'm going to win.

7. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

I have black belts in two other martial arts but I knew after I saw MMA I would never be well rounded if I didn't train in it too.

8. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a few years, but hit a wall where I felt like I wasn't learning anything new or useful and got bored with it. Then I moved away from my school and it was pretty obvious that I wouldn't be training there any more.

In the time since I quit training, my job has treated me quite well, I got married, did some travelling, found a new hobby in motorcycling, lived through Katrina and all the crap I had to deal with afterwards, and buried both of my parents. Losing my Dad so unexpectedly reminded me that we've all got a finite amount of time on this rock, so make the best of it.

I was one of those stand up guys who thought that what I knew would be sufficient in any situation when I saw UFC 2 and Royce just take apart anyone he got got in the cage with.

With all the hype surrounding MMA and UFC recently, it resparked my interest in martial arts. But there was no way in hell I was going to go to a karate class or another TKD class. I wanted to do something different. Then I found a BJJ trainer at one of the local karate schools, took a free lesson, and decided to sign up. I feel like I've learned more in the 2 classes I've been to than I did in the last year I trained in TKD.

9. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Well as soon as you quit private training and come join me you'll be able to attempt that ass kicking every day haha.

10. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Good job, marriage, and some life struggles will really do it to you. I got child number 2 on the way and I finally looked at it and said now is my last oppertunity to take this all the way. The kicker for me will be natural talent, this new gym I am at now will help me discover that quickly I'm guessing, if the "natural" is there then my 3-4 day a week training might be enough to give it a go. I'm sure I will pick the training up more and more as I go, plus training at home and with Drag on the side will help a lot. Told my wife to give me 2 more years of this and if I fail then I fail and I guess I will just stick with casual training at that point.

11. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'm not even looking to compete. I'm 20 lbs under the lightweight weight classes, 35 years old, and can't go to work with black eyes and cuts on my face. This is more of a "just want to learn it while I can" type thing.

I'm in decent shape for my age, especially when compared to the guys I work with (I'm a cube dwelling computer nerd), but I'm beginning to become aware of the fact that I'm no longer 20 years old.

Who knows, when I'm 50 I may finally settle down and find a nice, gentle activity to stay in shape, like golf or tennis instead of being thrown around like a rag doll. :big grin:

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

I just wanted to get into shape and to see if my wrestling distant ancient history past could translate into holding my own in local competitions. with only a couple weeks of jiu jitsu under my belt i see i have alot to learn lol.

sum it up:
    1. get into better shape
    2. apply the wrestling that i loved to something that will help me obtain a decent fitness level again

the 2 are almost the same but i missed physical competition i guess

13. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

"One life, one chance"

That quote pretty much explains my motivation. I believe that when we die, we are nothing but sacks of rotting meat, I don't believe that I'll be recarnated or that I'll go to some sort of Heaven, I believe that I have this one life on this earth to do whatever I want and make the best of it.

I want to be remembered when I die though, I remember from Troy where Achilles was giving a choice to live his life back at home and grow old with a family and he will be forgotten or to go to Troy and die but be remembered forever. I don't know if I could achieve his status of being remembered but I sure would like to be remembered for being one of the greats in MMA.

That and winning are my motivation, nothing feels greater than having your hand raised, or day dreaming how the matches you won went.

14. padrino2k

padrino2k New Member

I love to compete, to test my abilities in something I enjoy doing against those of someone else... to see what I'm doing well in, and what I need to improve on. When I compete in kickboxing matches, there's no ball, no vehicle, nothing except me and my opponent duking it out. There's something so pure about it.

And forgive me for going Vitor Belfort on you guys, but I miraculously survived a motorcycle accident a while back and give God the credit for it. After swerving and hitting a lightpole at 75, the fact that I'm alive and walking is amazing. The point of that is, when I step in the ring and push my body as far & hard as it will go, I'm trying to show God that I appreciate what He's given me back.

15. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

mine is easy! Girls and sex.

But why Muay Thai and not just going to the gym and lifting? I knew if I went to the gym, I would get tired, and just go home. At Muay Thai you're there for the hour (or two) and have to do what they tell you to do. I need someone to force me.

But yeah, I had a few bad sex experiences (I got tired) and knew if I wanted to fuck lots of bitches, I would need to be in better shape. So far it has had a very good effect on the bedroom activities.

16. CrazyInteg

I'm 100% serious.

17. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

So, like, do the elbow strikes help convince the girls to say yes, or is it the knees to the abdomen method of birth control that you like, or were you simply banging your shins on the bedframe and needed to condition them?

18. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Clears my head

19. CrazyInteg

I'm talking about the actual sex act, not picking up chicks. Strength training and cardio are the benefits.

• Pushups and punching work your arms/shoulders and this is a great benefit for missionary position.
    • Kicks, knees, and other leg exercises works your quads and calves and this helps doggy style, and the standing position when your girl is short and you have to bend at the knees.
    • Of course stronger abs are going to help any sex position.

Also the increased testosterone helps all around.

20. CrazyInteg

I wanted to have a good reply so he couldn't tease me anymore. Im just sitting here at my desk at work. It's pretty easy to think about such things.

21. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

crazyInteg 4 president

22. xinster

xinster New Member

i respect crazyinteg alot, after reading this thread.

What, were you like real fat or somethihng?

I do this shit because a man needs his dreams. There are a jillion other reasons but they are all tertiary

23. CrazyInteg

not old enough :wtc: Are you sure you want a conservative from Nebraska as president anyways? :o

24. CrazyInteg

Complete opposite!! Skinny with a small beer belly. 6 foot tall. Was 145 pounds. The last girl I was with (before training) I would get tired. The girl before that said I needed to gain weight and improve my posture. So I started training, eat alot of chicken, protein, creatine, and I gained 10 pounds of muscle.
    I saw (anged) both of those girls again a few months ago, and they said I looked much better and they had more fun in bed.

That was a HUGE motivation for me. Also having muscles in places I had never had muscles before was super awesome (tricepts and delts)